Place: Aden, with frequent travels to Mokha and Sana’a
Starting date: ASAP
Duration of contract: 14 months
Closing date for applications: 10 November 2023
Application Review on a Rolling Basis: Due to the urgency of this recruitment, we encourage interested candidates to submit their applications as soon as possible. Our recruitment team will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. While the official application deadline is 10 November 2023, we will be considering and processing suitable applications as they are received.
Handicap International/Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial international solidarity organization, which intervenes in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflicts and disasters. Working alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, it acts and speaks out to meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights. More info: www.hi.org
At Handicap International-Humanity & Inclusion, we truly believe in the importance of inclusion and diversity within our organisation. This is why we are engaged to a disability policy to encourage the inclusion and integration of people with disabilities.
Please indicate if you require any special accommodation, even at the first interview.
HI have been intervening in Yemen on and off for the last 12 years, with its actions initially focused on development issues, notably through the support to the development of physical and functional rehabilitation services for people with disabilities as well as through the capacity-building of the national networks of Yemen Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs).
Since 2015, HI interventions have been adapted to the current context of conflict in Yemen. With the support of different donors, HI has been supporting two hospitals and one physical and functional rehabilitation centre in Sana’a City, building the capacities of their key staff in early rehabilitation care and psychological first aid (including specifically for children), supplying rehabilitation equipment, and directly providing functional rehabilitation care and psychosocial support to war affected people (including through the donation of assistive devices and provision of Prosthesis). In 2017, these activities have extended to new facilities in and around Sana’a.
In parallel, HI implements inclusive humanitarian action, by increasingly piloting inclusive interventions and promoting disability inclusive coordination and programming through the coordination system and the inclusion task force, and technical support and capacity development to UN agencies, NGO’s and increasingly networks and focal points of persons with disabilities and awareness raising activity with communities.
HI activities are very consolidated in Sana’a governorate, Aden, which opened in 2019, and Mokha, which started implementing in 2020. Activities in Hajjah have been launched early 2022.
Under the line management of the Country Director, you will:
- Ensure the safe and timely implementation of training and clearance activities according to international and national standards, internal SOPs and in line with HI Project Quality Frame standards;
- Support potential expansion of geographical areas and methodology of clearance activities through the assessment of needs and operational options in line with the mission Operational Strategy both in the North and South of Yemen;
- Provide strategic and technical guidance towards non-technical survey and clearance programs;
- Ensure sound management of the team under your coordination, in line with HI’s Code of Conduct, rules and regulations and HI project standards;
- Play a key role in establishing HI EOD work in Yemen.
- Co-lead with the HR department the recruitment, inception and training of the proposed EOD field team;
- Feed directly into funding proposals for HMA activities, including proactively seeking funding opportunities and liaising with donors;
- Perform frequent field visits in the intervention sites for technical supervision, on-the-job training and quality assurance;
- Responsible for the development and update of technical training packages for NTS and clearance activities;
- Collaborate with LR Technical Specialist in ensuring an effective Quality Management System is fully compliant with HI SOPs;
- Ensure the respect of HI’s Code of Conduct, HI’s Misconduct Reporting Mechanism, HI’s Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, HI’s Security rules, and other relevant rules and regulations by the members of the team under your coordination;
- When required, contribute to the design and update of risk education materials, monitoring and support to AVR activity components;
- Co-lead the assessment of needs, feasibility, opportunities and risks of a potential future NTS and clearance intervention in other areas, including Yemen North and in support of introduction of new innovative methodologies (for instance, use of drones);
- Develop and maintain strong and positive working relationship with National Mine Action Authorities, UNMAS, mine action organizations and other relevant stakeholders;
- Actively mainstream gender, inclusion and conflict sensitivity in all mine action activities;
- A final report, at the end of the mission, is to be submitted to the Country Director and the Global Land Release Manager, HQ.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION:
The position is based in Aden – Yemen. The expatriate is expected to travel to other HI bases.
In the four locations, shared guesthouses well equipped with a safe room, most of the work is done at the office but there are some possibilities to go out for work purposes. Outside movements are possible for some extra-professional activities in Sanaa and Aden. All movements are done by car. HI has set up a curfew. The situation is relatively calm in Sana’a and Hajjah nowadays. However, the security is volatile in southern areas. The mission has put in place adequate security rules and processes to allow teams to work in a safe environment.
Local medical capacity remains a concern for the person with fragile health, ongoing treatment and that needs close medical follow up.
Dress code: Men will be required to wear long pants and at least a short-sleeved shirt. Women are required to wear the abaya and hijab (headscarf) outside of the compound. For female staff in the office, appropriate attire includes long pants and long sleeve shirts.
- Relevant and certified EOD and IEDD qualification to fulfil organizational needs;
- IMAS Level 3+ qualification from accredited school or organisation;
- Experience in NGOs and humanitarian settings.
Experience and competencies:
- Experience in planning, managing and supervising/controlling survey, and clearance operations;
- Experience in the field of training /professional training;
- Understanding of project management tools and previous experience in project design;
- Experience in data collection and data management / community liaison;
- Successful track record in proposal writing, donor identification and fundraising;
- A previous experience in Yemen with the knowledge of the country requirements and culture is an asset;
- Ability to work in arduous conditions, and without constant supervision.
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. https://hi.org/en/join-the-team
- 14 months International contract starting ASAP
- The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:
- Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals
- Pension scheme
- Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution
- Repatriation insurance paid by HI
- Salary from 5800€ gross/month upon experience
- Perdiem: 627.76€ net/month – paid in the field
- Hardship: 500€ net/month paid with your salary
- Paid leaves: 25 days per year;
- R&R: specific level of the mission: 7 days every 8 weeks + possible transport/package support.
- Payment for travel costs (air ticket & visa) and transport of your personal effects
- a child allowance of 100€ per month, per child (from the second child) paid in the field
- Housing: Collective taken in charge by HI
If you are resident in the country: local package
How to apply
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the following link:
Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis, don’t wait for applying!
Only successful candidates will be contacted.