World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the posiiton below:
Job Title: AVADAR National Coordinator (NOC)
Job ID: 2205390
Contractual Arrangement: Special Services Agreement (SSA)
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 6 Months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Purpose of the position
- The Nigerian national authorities have intensified efforts to continuously interrupt wild poliovirus transmission within the shortest time possible. Therefore, a strong AFP surveillance system is crucial to detect and investigate cases early.
- A strong community surveillance linked with ACS to priority health facility is proved to effective in many countries. Therefore, a new innovative approach in making the surveillance system sensitive is crucial to make sure that we are not missing any cases in the community.
- Auto- Visual AFP Detection and Reporting (AVADAR) was piloted in two LGAs in Nigeria and the result has shown that it increases both the number of cases detected and the geographical distribution of case reporting.
- After reviewing the result of the pilot an agreement is reached to implement this initiative in other 11 states across 62 LGAs with persistent surveillance gaps. There is need for central coordination of the project to over see the general implementation of the project.
Objectives of the Programme
- To sustain the present gains of the Polio Eradication program, AVADAR project was deployed to increase the sensitivity of AFP detection and reporting using smart phones and AVADAR application to send AFP alert to DSNO.
- This innovative solution allows monitoring and provide real time analytics for information collected using the electronic tools. The incumbent will be responsible for:
- The Technical Officer will be responsible for the general project coordination at country and state levels.
- He/She will coordinate and facilitate the deployment and troubleshooting of technical equipment, software installation and configuration of phones before and during project implementation.
- He/She will also coordinate and facilitate training of health workers and community informants on use of android mobile phones with installed embedded software applications.
- He/She will coordinate the process of monitoring and supervision and overall evaluation of the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the overall supervision of the WHO Country Representative, and direct supervision of PEP/Polio Focal Point, the incumbent will be responsible for deployment and troubleshooting of technical equipment, software installation and configuration of phones before and during project implementation.
- He/She will also support training of health workers and community informants on use of android mobile phones with installed embedded software applications. The duties of the position are as follows:
- Communicates effectively with the project team members and partnering organizations to establish trust and promote the Organization’s core values of ethics and integrity
- Provides professional and effective leadership and coordination of all activities in the field with partnering organizations.
- Prepares all equipment, devices, and materials for project use and/or field activities and ensures all equipment and devices are fully charged and activated for daily use.
- Ensures judicious use of all assigned equipment and materials, including safe transport to and from the field.
- Works closely with partnering organizations, providing specific training, re-training, guidance, and coaching, as needed, to ensure successful outcomes towards assigned goals.
- Completes daily project and/or field reports in line with project deliverables
- Identifies areas for improvement in project and/or field work and brings to the attention of Project lead or Supervisor.
- As directed, ensures that appropriate corrective actions are taken in a timely manner, including review and update of project processes, materials, and equipment.
- Assists in upgrading and installing new software.
- Demonstrates high level of customer care service to project end users (local health workers)
- Responsible for performing any other duty assigned by the Management
- May frequently travel between project worksites. This position is primarily field based; technical officers may be expected to live and work in remote locations for several weeks/months at a time.
- Attends and participates and give feedback in all weekly and monthly project meetings
- Reacts well under pressure. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
- Accepts responsibility for own actions and follows through on commitments.
Cross Cutting Tasks:
- Support the design and implementation of electronic and mHealth data collection tools
- Capacity building on electronic / mHealth innovations.
- First Degree in Medicine (MBBS) or its equivalent from an accredited institution.
- Master’s Degree in Public Health.
- Project management certification will be an added advantage
- Essential: At least 5 years’ working experience with WHO or other international organizations.
- Desirable: Experience in data collection, analysis, dissemination, and use of health information for program planning and management.
- Experience in database development, electronic and mHealth tools development, and server management.
- Producing results
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Promoting WHO’s position in health leadership.
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability to organize and provide training for programs and data managers
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues and partners at national and international levels
- Ability to provide leadership and monitor progress
- Computer software program proficiency including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access database, Power BI, EPI Info, ODK, Google Apps, DHIS2,
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively in Nigeria.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
Application Closing Date
22nd June (10:59:00 PM)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.