Associate Investment Officer – Infrastructure
Job #: req24117
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English, French
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 9/15/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC — a member of the World Bank Group — is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2023, IFC committed a record US$43.7 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org .
The Infrastructure and Natural Resources (INR) industry is one of IFC’s key strategic priorities.
The Africa Infrastructure unit is an open and dynamic team which delivers financial and technical support to clients in the power, transport, telecoms, municipal & environmental infrastructure, and natural resources sectors, from IFC’s own balance sheet and through mobilization of other capital. The team also seeks to maintain IFC, as part of the World Bank Group, at the cutting-edge of helping member countries find solutions to new and emerging infrastructure and natural resources issues.
The team is seeking an Associate Investment Officer. The selected candidate will be based in Washington, D.C. and will work across the business cycle (business development, new investments, and portfolio), with a focus on Africa.
Specific responsibilities will include assisting the evaluation, structuring, negotiating, and closing of new transactions as well as assisting in portfolio restructurings, rescheduling, capital increases, equity sales, etc.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Assist in evaluating, structuring, negotiating, and closing new transactions as part of deal teams.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the infrastructure sector in Africa and help develop strong relationships with key local counterparts in the private and public sectors.
- Work with senior staff to develop a strong pipeline of good quality investments.
- Assess the attractiveness of specific investment opportunities with a strong focus on credit quality, viability and development impact and contribute to recommendations to IFC’s management.
- Participate in negotiations as appropriate, use financial competences and personal influencing skills to overcome impasses.
- Coordinate closely with IFC’s transaction teams and specialists to manage environmental, social, technical, legal, insurance, corporate governance, and other risks in projects and champion IFC’s sustainability offerings to clients.
- Engage with clients to understand their business directions and challenges that may lead to new opportunities, and support the design of client engagement plans, as applicable.
- Master’s degree in business, Finance, Economics, or another relevant field
- 4 to 6 years of relevant experience in finance with a proven track-record in areas of sourcing, structuring, and closing investments and/or supervising loan and equity exposures including working on restructurings, modifications and negotiated exits.
- Strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to structure a variety of financial instruments (debt and equity)
- Demonstrated knowledge of industries, industry trends and opportunities in the Africa region
- Experience in the power & utilities, transport, and/or telecom sectors
- Business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on client’s needs effectively.
- Ability to interact directly with potential clients, and financial and technical partners.
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills in English. French language skills are required.
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development and to highest ethical standards
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.