Reference Number: 230364
Position Level: NS 1
Department: South Asia Department
Division: Bangladesh Resident Mission
Location: Bangladesh Resident Mission
Date Posted: Friday, July 7, 2023
Closing Date: Friday, July 21, 2023 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of Bangladesh.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Bangladesh Resident Mission (BRM) within the South Asia Department. SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka.
The Associate Finance Officer manages and provides a full range of financial, accounting and treasury functions for the smooth operation of the resident mission (RM). The incumbent will report to designated international staff (IS) and senior national staff (NS).
- Monitors compliance with ADB’s financial management policies and procedures for RMs.
- Prepares the annual budget and mid-term review of operational and administrative budgets, and capital expenditures, and budgetary control.
- Reviews and verifies documents and ensures payment of administrative expenses, training/workshop, technical assistance (TA), etc.
- Maintains books of accounts and reports to Controller’s Department (CTL) along with reconciled bank statements.
- Makes projections and maintains appropriate level of funds for the RM operations.
- Coordinates the implementation of audit recommendations.
- Ensures payment of local staff salaries, overtime and other benefits including processing payment of multipurpose loan, education assistance and medical claims, reimbursement of interest subsidy to staff for housing loan.
- Manages the cost of staff travel and ensures timely liquidation of travel advances.
- Reviews liquidation statements (RRBT) before forwarding to CTL. Facilitates other travels performed under TA/regional TA by non-ADB personnel.
- Ensures timely disbursement of funds from BRM imprest account for conducting training of project personnel, seminars, procurement and advance payment to consultants, etc.
- Closely monitors to liquidate TA/RETA advance on a timely basis and provides timely reminders on early submission of claims and closely monitors closing TAs.
- Coordinates with comparator organizations for facilitating RM’s financial activities, assists in RM’s administration (as and when required)
- Participates in institutional procurement as a member of the BRM institution procurement committee, and contract management.
- Manages the staff consultant budget.
- Performs other tasks as assigned and reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree preferably with advanced training
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in financial accounting and analysis including accounting and auditing systems and budgeting and budgetary control
- Knowledge of guidelines and provisions on various finance, accounting, and auditing issues.
- Proficiency with financial spreadsheet programs and word processing software; good knowledge of information technology is preferred.
- Strong planning and organizing skills to handle many tasks with deadlines.
- Ability to develop rapport internally and externally in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Level 1.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.