PYXERA Global is a not-for-profit, international non-governmental organization, with offices in Nigeria and a Head Office in Washington DC, USA.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Agriculture Project Assistant
Location: Kudan, Kaduna
Employment Type: Full-time
Division: Enterprise and Community Development
Reports To: Agriculture Project Officer, Rayuwa Nigeria Project
- We are seeking qualified candidates for the position of Agriculture Project Assistant.
- The position is full-time and community-based.
- This position will work with the Rayuwa project team to implement an integrated community development program with a focus on enhancing the capacities of rural farmers to increase their agricultural productivity and incomes.
- The Rayuwa project is funded by the John Deere Foundation and is located within the Enterprise and Community Development division of PYXERA Global.
- The Rayuwa project involves collaboration with diverse partners and a drive to be continuously adaptive to the local context.
- The Project Assistant is expected to support the project team to implement and achieve Rayuwa’s agriculture and income objectives to improve the livelihoods and resilience of smallholder farmers and their communities.
- The ideal candidate will have a relevant educational background and experience in integrated development programs with a focus on smallholder rural agricultural development. Preference will be given to candidates with strong communication and report writing skills.
- As part of the Rayuwa Nigeria team, the successful candidate will exemplify the Rayuwa values of teamwork, equality, and a strong work ethic.
Key Position Responsibilities
The Income Generation Project Assistant will work with relevant Project team members and report directly to the Agriculture Officer, Rayuwa Nigeria Project. The position will have the following responsibilities:
- Liaise with farmers and community representatives on behalf of the Rayuwa project under the supervision of the Agriculture Officer
- Work in collaboration with other project team members as delegated or directed by the Agriculture Officer in the delivery of tasks
- Conduct outreach activities in new and existing project communities with the goal of familiarizing them with the Rayuwa project and disseminating information on specific activities linked to the Rayuwa project’s agricultural development objectives
- Support members of the Rayuwa project communities to identify agro-based economic opportunities for diversified incomes
- Collect and verify key farmer data and support the GIS mapping of individual farmer plots for project M&E purposes in areas of work or delegated responsibilities
- Conduct rigorous and continuous data collection on required data points, and provide final data to the Agriculture Officer and M&E team
- Collect farmer feedback before and after each training
- Communicate any challenges observed in the field with farmers pertaining to farmer outreach, M&E, or training activities to the Agriculture Officer in a timely manner
- Participate in training and activities organized by PYXERA Global and its partners in support of the provision of services to the benefit of Rayuwa farmers, and the project, as requested
- Support relevant community volunteers in the delivery of project activities
- Exhibit and stay committed to the Rayuwa Values of honesty, transparency, integrity, humility, freedom to innovate, equality, keeping a “light” attitude, quality, teamwork, focus on the goals, accountability to all partners, and monitoring to learn and improve.
- Carry out other duties assigned by the Agriculture Officer, and or the project management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture, Rural/Community Development, Sustainable Development, Project Management, or related field of study.
- A minimum of one year post graduation and NYSC work experience implementing relevant agricultural and rural development programs in farming communities, particularly in the Northern regions of Nigeria.
- Candidates with a strong familiarity with rural farming communities, agricultural development approaches, and methods, and agricultural and rural finance programs, are preferred.
- Strong familiarity with the formation and management of farmers’ organizations
- Strong facilitation skills, familiarity with training-of-trainer (ToT) approaches and methodologies, and competencies in the use of tailor-made and diversified facilitation/training methods and tools.
- Experience organizing community and/or youth outreach and support programs.
- Very good presentation and writing skills.
- Very good interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Good knowledge of computer and internet operations.
- Fluency in the English language required.
- Proficiency in the Hausa language is strongly preferred.
- Nigerian national required.
Application Closing Date
5th August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a CV / Resume, Cover Letter, expected Compensation Package, and list of 3 Professional References to: ECDOps@pyxeraglobal.org using “Agriculture Project Assistant, Rayuwa” as the subject of the email.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis.