Job Identification : 13322
Locations : New Delhi, India
Posting Date : 08/28/2023, 10:53 AM
Apply Before : 09/13/2023, 03:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NPSA-9
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Inclusive Growth
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration : 1 Year
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English and Hindi
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP has been working in India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development. Together with the Government of India and development partners, we have worked towards eradicating poverty, reducing inequalities, strengthening local governance, enhancing community resilience, protecting the environment, supporting policy initiatives and institutional reforms, and accelerating sustainable development for all.
With projects and programmes in every state and union territory in India, UNDP works with national and subnational government, and diverse development actors to deliver people-centric results, particularly for the most vulnerable and marginalized communities. As the integrator for collective action on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) within the UN system, we are committed to supporting the Government of India’s national development vision and priorities and accelerating the achievement of the SDGs for the people and the planet.
Our new Country Programme (2023-2027) builds on our prior work and aims to provide an integrated approach to development solutions in three strategic portfolios:
- Strong, accountable and evidence-led institutions for accelerated achievement of the SDGs
- Enhanced economic opportunities and social protection to reduce inequality, with a focus on the marginalized
- Climate-smart solutions, sustainable ecosystems and resilient development for reduced vulnerability
South-South cooperation, gender equality and social inclusion are promoted across the pillars. The programme is supported by a framework of renewed partnerships and blended finance solutions, strategic innovation and accelerator labs, and data and digital architecture.
You are invited to join a team of future-smart development professionals to support India in achieving the national and globally agreed goals. As part of the UNDP team, your focus will be to work with diverse stakeholders to find country-specific solutions that lead to sustainable development and reach those furthest behind first.
More than half of all livelihoods in India is primarily dependent on agriculture. A massive 54.6% of the total workforce is engaged in agricultural and allied sector activities and 57% of the rural households are directly dependent on agriculture for their livelihoods. However, the agricultural sector is facing various challenges like small landholding, declining productivity, rising input costs, declining farm income, the adverse impact of climate change, and decline in the percentage share of workers engaged in the agriculture sector. Agricultural production shocks have huge social and financial repercussions, impacting rural income levels, Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and poverty rates.
The Government of India’s flagship schemes Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana(PMFBY) and KCC/MISS have become important tools to strengthen the resilience of Indian farmers. The schemes ensure maximum benefits for the farmers by providing financial risk protection against natural calamities and catastrophic events including pests, climate uncertainties and environmental shocks. Apart from providing comprehensive risk coverage for the entire crop cycle, PMFBY also enables direct claim transfer into farmers’ accounts through e-remittance. Additionally, to address agrarian distress, Kisan Credit Card/ Modified Interest Subvention Scheme (MISS) was introduced by the Government of India to provide cheap and hassle-free credit for millions of farmers and to ensure continued investment into agriculture to bring in mechanization, modernize agriculture practices and eventually enhance productivity.
UNDP’s Country Programme Document (2023-2027) intended outcome 2 states that “By 2027, people will benefit from and contribute to sustainable and inclusive growth through higher productivity, competitiveness and diversification in economic activities that create decent work, livelihoods, and income particularly for youth and women”. UNDP leverages its expertise in systems strengthening to support the Ministry of Agriculture through setting up of Central Program Management Unit (CPMU)for the implementation of PMFBY and KCC to improve institutional and programme responsiveness, increase coverage and better access among marginalized and excluded farm households, offering innovative measures and support mechanisms for Agri-value chain financing, risk management and reduced crop loss for the rural population in India. The PMU will also focus on providing Capacity Building and Training support to participating state-level government departments involved in PMFBY and KCC and advancing the scheme among new states for improved uptake.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Agri Finance & Investment Analyst- Technical Support Unit will work under the overall guidance and supervision of the National Programme Director-TSU. S/He will ensure engagement of all direct stakeholders and delivery of project objectives, in coordination with the Joint Secretary & CEO, DoA&FW, MoA&FW when needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Study latest advancements and trend in the field of agriculture, horticulture and other ancillary activities;
- To help in assessing the financial need of people involved in the field of agriculture horticulture and other ancillary activities. To device innovative methods of financing to agriculture, Horticulture, Poultry Farming, Pisciculture, Dairy Farming, Agricultural Biotechnology, floriculture etc.;
- To help in designing innovative products for agriculture Value chain Finance;
- To assist in reviewing the role of business facilitator(BF) and Business correspondent (BC), in the field of Agriculture Finance;
- To assist in reviewing the challenges in agriculture finance, and Agri Infra Finance and identify areas of improvement along with innovative financing solutions;
- Support Ministry in policy decisions including modification of the agri finance Schemes administered by the Department;
- To help in assessing the financial requirements of farmers and mechanisms of formal and informal financing support services, liaison with States, Bankers and Fintech/agri-tech entities. To review latest agri financing practices like Co-lending, Co-origination etc and to provide inputs for improvisation in the same for the benefits of farmers;
- Coordinate with Financial Institutions and other Stakeholders for inputs and product re-design and innovation;
- Give inputs for promotion of digital channel in transactions related to agriculture and promotion of eNAM Mandi in the country;
- Coordinate with international crop-financing programmes and experts to draw on international best practices for improvement of agri credit schemes;
- To assist in reviewing the current business practices and procedures inside and outside India to identify key risk factors and alignment to the agri-finance market;
- Provide high level assistance to the Stakeholders including states, banks, fintech/agri-tech entities for the smooth implementation of the Scheme;
- Perform any other tasks consistent with the level of the post and/ or assigned by the NPD – TSU.
- Direct Reporting To1: Agri Finance and R&D Specialist (NPSA 10)
- Overall Reporting To2: National Programme Director (NPSA 11)
- Reportees to this position (if applicable): N.A
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross Functional & Technical Competencies:
General (across the functions): Event planning and execution
- Ability to plan, manage and execute of public and private events to ensure that they support and amplify individual communications and advocacy initiatives, as well as UNDP’s overall brand and mandate.
Partnership management: Emerging partnerships
- Ability to engage with emerging partners, develop and manage a strategy and develop approaches to developing and managing these new strategic partnerships
Finance Financial reporting and analysis
- Understands changes in regulatory, legal and ethical frameworks and standards for financial reporting in the public sector. Ability to extract, evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful and coherent manner to facilitate effective decision making and performance monitoring. Understands the benefits of integrated reporting, including non-financial resources such as human, social and intellectual capital, and environmental and governance performance.
Finance Technology and data in Finance
- Ability to understand developments, opportunities and challenges in technology relating to public finance.
Finance Commercial: understanding within the public sector
- Understands the role, importance and accounting practices for commercial activities. Understands income generation options and related risk and reward. Understands the importance of commercial suppliers to the public sector and evaluating their financial resilience. Is adept with private sector accounts and their use within commercial offshoots and subsidiaries. Possesses influence and negotiation skills and can facilitate and engage with ‘productive competitive dialogue’. Understands the procurement cycle and the scope and features of good contract management.
- Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
Collective Intelligence Design
- Ability to bringing together diverse groups of people, data, information or ideas, and technology to design services or solutions
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree OR Masters’ Degree with specialization in Agriculture /Rural Management /Insurance /Finance/Banking /Investment or closely related field will be given due consideration.
- Minimum 4 (Bachelor’ Degree) or 2 years (Master’ Degree) of demonstrable related experience in national/ international/ public private organization’s projects;
- Relevant Experience at the national level working with Governments and private entities in the insurance sector;
- Additional years professional relevant experience in national/ international/ public private organizations projects;
- Experience in the design of Agri and Agri value chain financing products and programs in India;
- Relevant Experience at the national level working with Governments and private entities in the banking/finance sector;
- Techno Functional Experience-Should have Techno Functional understanding (Basic) of IT Application Architecture of BFSI;
- Have worked with Public sector/RRB’s /Pvt Sector/Co-operative bank, NBFC in the field of Agri Finance for 2 Years;
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the organization;
- Broad based knowledge current rural insurance and finance;
- Demonstrates substantive and technical knowledge to meet responsibilities and requirements of the post with excellence;
- Possesses the capacity for strategic planning, result – based management and reporting;
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the organization.
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English and Hindi.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.