Technician specialized in biocultural matters
Job advertisement : Aug 21/2023
Publication cancellation date : Sep 4, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FLMEX
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: NPP ( National Project Personnel )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Mexico-Mexico City
Duration: 3 months ( with high probability of extension )
Position Number: N / A
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The project “ Implementation and strengthening of the sustainable management of Natural Protected Areas ” constitutes the pilot phase of the CONANP-FAO collaboration that seeks to contribute to strengthening the system of Natural Protected Areas in Mexico. Through this project, specific strengthening mechanisms will be generated in the management and management of Natural Protected Areas for a better sustainable use of natural resources, strengthen the institutional relations of CONANP and improve processes that allow a direct impact on management effectiveness indicators, while building connectivity mechanisms, generating strategic alliances and actions to safeguard biodiversity and natural wealth.As a general result of the project, CONANP is expected to adopt the instruments to improve institutional efficiency and participatory governance for effective management of current and projected NPAs, through four products:
- Product 1. Prepared and transferred the proposal to improve the strategic Institutional Capacity ( CI ) ( includes the identification of gaps or deficits of IQ, of areas of opportunity, roadmap and established processes ) for the institutional efficiency of CONANP related to the management of Natural Protected Areas.
- Product 2. Generated and consolidated instruments and mechanisms to strengthen governance and citizen participation in Natural Protected Areas.
- Product 3. The proposal to increase the ecological representativeness and connectivity of ecosystems under protection has been prepared and implemented: Incorporation of new ANPs, strengthening of existing ones and ADVC certification.
- Product 4. The operational processes for the prioritization and efficient, timely and articulated development of strategic projects within the ANP in the project implementation territories are designed, validated and transferred.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Program Representative
Field of specialization
Tasks and responsibilities
The main task of the Technician specialized in biocultural matters is to support the implementation of products 1, 2 and 3 of the UTF / MEX / 154 / project/MEX regarding the biocultural component facilitating the development of Management Programs, decrees and technical supporting studies for the formation and consolidation of Natural Protected Areas.
The Technician specialized in biocultural matters will have the following functions:
- Establish a work plan approved by the person in charge in central offices and the project coordinator ( a ).
- Collaborate in the design and implementation of a plan to strengthen the multiculturalism and gender of institutional capacities, considering the lessons generated by previous processes. Relevant to sensitize CONANP staff to the importance of ANPs that involve the conservation of biocultural heritage where traditional knowledge about ecosystems and species is preserved, as well as the wild ancestors and the Creole varieties of various cultivars of which Mexico is the center of origin.
- Systematize information regarding the relevance of ANPs and the conservation of biocultural heritage that serves as inputs for various actors ( institutional, community ).
- Generate information on bioculturality and ANP for disclosure.
- Contribute to the diagnosis of multicultural conditions and gender in ANPs, clearly identifying opportunities for improvement in these issues for the design and implementation of management programs, decrees, supporting technical studies and other associated programs.
- Support in the review of projects, integration and preparation of technical opinions on bioculturality and multiculturalism in the documents on ANP and ADVC received by the institution.
- Collaborate in updating institutional criteria with a multicultural perspective for the constitution, operation and monitoring of Advisory Councils in federal Natural Protected Areas based on the Escazú Agreement.
- Prepare monthly reports of activities that describe the concrete actions implemented to face climate change in the project’s areas of influence, same that must be validated by the Project Coordinator and have the CONANP Good View.
- Prepare a final report of your consultancy that contains the identification of lessons learned in the activities carried out and recommendations.
- Other tasks that the National Coordinator, responsible personnel at CONANP and FAO require according to their competences and project needs
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUED IN ARRANGE TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Bachelor of Environmental, Social Sciences and related careers.
- At least 5 years of assigned or similar work experience.
- Practical knowledge of Spanish and limited knowledge of English.
- Mexican nationality.
FAO core competencies
- Results-based approach
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement
Technical / functional skills
- Experience in strategic issues such as planning, administration, development of indicators, among others
- Experience and knowledge around bioculturality, multiculturalism and Natural Protected Areas.
- Experience and capacity in writing, systematizing and disseminating information.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process ( application, interview, processing ).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help or have questions, contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/ .
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
PRESENTATION OF REQUESTMENTS
- If you want to apply, go to the FAO Recruitment Website ( Employment in FAO ) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. Only applications received through the contracting portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to submit their application sufficiently in advance of the expiration of the term.
- If you need help, contact: [email protected].
IN THE LOCALS OF FAO IT IS FORBIDDEN TO SMOKE