Technical Director, Strategy, Performance & Learning, Social Impact, Remote, United States
Social Impact (SI) is a Washington, DC-area international development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over one hundred countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
Social Impact strives to be a great place to work. We are proud of our diversity and actively seek to expand it as a way of improving our employees’ experience, our collective professional breadth and the quality of the work we do. We seek to promote equity and inclusion through our policies and practices and build a culture of belonging for everyone where differences and authenticity are honored and embraced. We work hard to create opportunities for growth and ensure that our staff are fulfilled and engaged. We believe we are better when we collaborate, learn from one another and have fun while working hard.
The Technical Director will support the growth and development of Social Impact’s practice by joining new and ongoing projects as a project director or technical advisor. Additionally, this individual will have a hand in developing new business through the development of contacts and technical proposals. The primary function of the Technical Director will be to provide technical oversight, implementation, and quality control for select monitoring, performance evaluation, and learning contracts. The Technical Director may also provide management oversight and support for these projects and programs.
- Apply advanced technical knowledge and state-of-the-art methodologies, analysis techniques, and MEL approaches to project work. Serve as a team leader, project director, facilitator, and/or technical advisor on a variety of contracts.
- Ensure adherence to and promote SI’s Evaluation Quality, Use, and Impact protocols, while meeting contractual requirements.
- Design and implement innovative MEL and adaptive management activities and approaches leveraging data and evidence for decision making.
- Provide coaching and troubleshooting support for SI teams working on MEL projects.
- Ensure client satisfaction and monitor use of recommendations and products.
- Lead or co-lead training and technical assistance for key donors and clients.
- Provide direct service delivery on client contracts.
- Serve as technical lead or technical writer for proposals, including complex proposals requiring high levels of technical input.
- Lead scoping, positioning, planning, marketing, and proposal development related to SI’s work with current and new clients.
- Aid in the identification of MEL experts, team leaders, and sectoral experts for bids. Interview and assess technical capacity of proposed SI staff and consultants for inclusion in proposals.
- Be a recognized technical expert in SI in MEL and apply that expertise to SI projects and proposals.
- Develop knowledge assets and new technical approaches to differentiate SI from other competitors in the MEL marketplace.
- Present thought leadership pieces in internal and external venues.
- Participate in and lead relevant external communities of practice.
- Publish technical papers, blogs, working papers, and other influence products for the MEL community.
- Master’s Degree, plus at least 10 years of relevant professional experience in M&E and MEL in the international development sector required.
- 13 years of relevant experience in MEL and M&E is preferred; degree(s) in one of the social sciences or international development with evidence of in-depth technical training in the area of MEL is preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in MEL design and delivery, third party monitoring, assessments, data analysis and visualization, knowledge management, management consulting, CLA, capacity building, and/or training.
- Knowledge and experience either in quantitative or qualitative research methods, with a strong understanding of qualitative data collection and analysis.
- Professional experience either as a team lead or as key staff on MEL engagements, preferably in developing countries, with high quality resulting deliverables.
- Experience working with DOS, USAID, foundations, and/or international NGOs.
- Willingness and ability to travel overseas for short to medium term assignments.
- A commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive work and learning environment.
- Experience managing international development projects based in conflict or high threat environments preferred.
- In-depth experience in one or more area in international development such as democracy and governance, security and peace keeping, humanitarian assistance, workforce development, food security, health and education, the environment, or economic growth preferred.
- Proficiency in a foreign language preferred.
- Team management experience preferred.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.