Job Identification : 11033
Locations : Home Based
Posting Date : 05/31/2023, 08:31 AM
Apply Before : 06/15/2023, 03:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UN Volunteers
Grade : NB3
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Management
Bureau : UNV
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 7 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is administered by UNDP and follows all UNDP rules and regulations. UNV is the UN system common service that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
UNV’s Management Services hold the responsibility for the strategic planning, managerial leadership, oversight, and quality control of an integrated platform of operational services ensuring timely, effective and efficient delivery according to corporate performance standards and in compliance with the UN Regulations and Rules and UNDP´s accountability framework.
The Information and Communication Technology Section (ICTS) is responsible for the running operations of all ICT on-premises and cloud datacenters, cloud platforms and services, business applications, corporate websites, helpdesk, videoconferences, security services, hardware, software, network, and telecommunications services. This includes application system analysis, design, development and maintenance, local and global telecommunication networks, commercial hardware and software installation and operation (at both desktop and network levels), internet, and email. ICTS is also providing network and support services to other UN Agencies in UN Bonn Campus. ICTS is working in close collaboration with UNDP ITM department.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Azure and DevOps
- Manage the applications deployed in Kubernetes environments and take care of the stability, scalability, replication, and modularity.
- Monitor performance of Azure based infrastructure components like utilization of Database, Service Bus, Storages.
- Analyze commonly occurring issues and document the issue for further resolution by development team and external vendor resources; identify immediate resolution in collaboration with the development team and external vendor resources.
- Recognize automation opportunities in resource monitoring, and support in setting up of appropriate alert notification based on severity.
- Adjust the scale of components based on demand and performance.
- Support in deployment and management of Kubernetes clusters.
- Support preparation of various environments (staging, test, dev, etc.).
- Run regular routines related to maintenance of data across subsystems.
2. Service desk support
- Provide L3 level support related to infrastructure issues, support in root cause investigations.
- Support the creation of user stories related to resolving infrastructure issues in the UNV corporate task management platforms (e.g., ClickUp).
- Propose improvements in system reconfiguration based on incoming service desk inquiries.
- Closely work with the Service desk team and support in drafting knowledge articles with a goal to decrease the number of escalated to L3 cases.
3. Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Contribute to relevant knowledge and learning products development efforts, including for the standard user documentation and various user guides.
- Share and disseminate synthesis of lessons learned and best practices directly linked to systems management.
- Make sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Perform other duties as required.
The NPSA will work under the direct supervision of the Azure & DevOps Specialist.
- Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility
- Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination
- Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner
- Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion
- Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies:
IT Service Delivery & Operations
- Ability to deliver the IT products and services to customers at the right level of Quality and Costs, taking into account user experience.
- ISO 20000 knowledge. ITIL certification or similar desirable.
User Experience and business analyst
- Capacity to translate efficiently users needs in IT requirements around human-centred design principles. Knowledge of Oracle Cloud, ServiceNow, SalesForce.com, and Microsoft product an asset
IT Customer Support
- Ability to support l customers on IT related issues and generate and contribute to continuous improvement processes to deliver a great user experience
- Knowledge of ISO 9001 desirable. ITIL certification or similar is desirable
- Understand the potential as well as the limitations of using data driven innovation
- Ability to use a mix of data sources (quantitative, qualitative or real-time techniques) to develop understanding, identify patterns to inform decision making or identify opportunities for further exploration
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education
- A university degree in information technology, computer science is desirable but not a requirement.
- 7 years of relevant experience in managing Azure-based mission-critical business applications
- Alternatively, bachelor’s degree in a relevant field in combination with 4 years of relevant experience in managing Azure-based mission-critical business applications may be accepted;
- Experience in monitoring of Azure related services to ensure service continuity
- Experience in Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) monitoring, and management
- Experience with Azure App Insights and problem identification based on log analysis
- Experience in maintenance of Azure DevOps and monitoring automations and GIT source code deployment
- Familiarity of Docker containerization and infrastructure-as-code (e.g., Terraform), PowerShell scripting is desirable
- Familiarity in setup of complex web architectures and their structure (CDN, WAF, load balancing and DNS) is desirable
- Familiarity with hosting environment for .NET web applications is desirable
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English
- Candidate to be located within reasonable (max 5 hours) time difference with Central European Time Zone
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
- The successful candidate will hold a UNDP personnel service agreement.
- This post is for local recruitment only. Candidates should have a valid resident and work permit in the country where they are located.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.