Position Title International consultant in charge of designing the module on document verification and passenger profiling of the induction curriculum for the personnel of Migration and Citizenship Service
Duty Station Home based with one travel to Yerevan, Armenia
Type of Appointment Consultancy, 30 working days
Estimated Start Date As soon as possible
Closing Date 27 January, 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Background of the activity
The IOM Mission in Armenia is implementing of the project “Strengthening Migration Management Capacities in Support of Government Reform Agenda in Line with CEPA”. This two-year project is co-funded by the European Union (EU) and aims to enhance migration governance in Armenia to foster well-managed and secure cross-border mobility and – in line with the Government’s Programme for 2021-2026 – to continue strengthening of migration and asylum systems in Armenia.
On December 16, 2022 The Armenian Parliament passed the legislative initiative submitted by the government on establishing a Ministry of Internal Affairs. This reform will lead to the creation of the Migration and Citizenship Service, comprised of the staff of the Migration Service and Visa and Passport Department of the Police. Staff of the newly established service must be duly trained and certified to perform new functions assigned in the context of the reforms.
General Objectives of the Consultancy
Two main objectives of the consultancy are:
A) To design the module on document verification and passenger profiling of the induction curriculum for the personnel of Migration and Citizenship Service
In coordination with IOM staff and the focal point from Migration Service, the consultant will design the module on document verification and passenger profiling of the training curricula of the Migration and Citizenship Service. This module should give an overview of travel documents, passports and visas, their issuance and the information they contain. The main security features found in passports and other travel documents will be outlined and the relevant verification equipment used to identify these features will be demonstrated. The module should include theoretical sessions and practical exercises.
B) To prepare and deliver “train the trainer” on document verification
Once the module is designed and approved by IOM and the key governmental counterparts, the consultant will deliver a “training of trainers” to the selected candidates who will be responsible for the training of newly recruited staff or re-training of the specialists already in service within the training structure system of the newly established Ministry and envisaged in the draft charter of the Ministry.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Office and the direct supervision of the Programme Manager, the successful candidate will undertake the following tasks and provide the following deliverables:
- Design of the module
The consultant, in coordination with IOM and the focal point of the Migration and Citizenship service, will draft the module on document verification and passenger profiling of the induction curriculum for the personnel of Migration and Citizenship Service.
In doing so, the consultant will consider the guidelines established in the Induction Training Programme of the Migration and Citizenship Service of the Ministry of Interior, adopted by the Decree N 1212-A/2 of the Minister of Education, Science, Culture and Sport on 23 July 2021. Based on the decree, the module be modelled upon the proposed outline:
To know the regulations for border control bodies, document circulation and to identify and profile(run the profile of) persons, crossing the state border of the RA
The trainee shall
- present the decrees of the RA government, regulating the activities of state border control bodies,
- present the documents, entitling to crossing the RA state border, security features thereof and the risks of counterfeiting (likely options),
- present the procedure of identifying and profiling of persons, crossing the RA state border and the functions of the specialist in this process,
- implement identification and profiling of persons, crossing the RA state border, making use of the relevant technical devices and equipment,
- be able to define the grounds for rejecting the passenger’s entry, as defined by the case assigned, and properly present the information on the rejection to the guest in acceptable scope and within the frames of ethical norms,
- be able to share information on the assigned case to a third person, meeting the requirements of legislation on personal data protection and state secret.
Approved teaching hours
12 hours, of which
Theory – 4,
Practice – 8.
In coordination with IOM and the focal point of Migration and citizenship service, the consultant will also design a final assessment mechanism.
- Preparation and delivery of training of trainers
Having designed the training module, and once the pool of trainers is selected via open call and nominated by the respective state agencies, the consultant will deliver a “training of trainers (ToT)” on document verification and profiling of passengers.
The ToT will ensure that the trainers will jointly apply student-centered, interactive teaching methods.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed advanced university degree in a relevant field.
- Specialization in Document Examination and Passenger Profiling will be considered as an asset.
- Other formal education as relevant for the assignment.
- At least five years of experience in a professional thematic consultancy.
- Proven experience in Document Examination and Passenger Profiling.
- Proven experience with international organizations and/or government structures.
- Experience in preparing and delivering training sessions.
Fluency in English is required.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their CV-s to HRIOMArmenia@iom.int with subject line “International Consultant CC-2023-02” by January 27, 2023 at the latest.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 13.01.2023 to 27.01.2023