Fondazione L’Albero della Vita – The Tree of Life Kenya is an organization registered in Kenya as a Trust with the aim of ensuring the wellbeing, protection and promotion of the rights of children and their families and encouraging community development.
The Tree of Life envisions a world without poverty where children can enjoy their rights; grow up in a safe environment, protected from all kinds of violence and abuse, with access to equal opportunities.
The Tree of Life has been operating in the space of Juvenile Justice, Care Reform, Alternative Family Care, TVET and job inclusion for vulnerable youth, as well as improving education, Wash, nutrition and health services in the ASAL and in the informal settlements.
The organization has been working in Kenya since 2011 and in Somalia from 2017, focusing on the sectors of Child Protection and safeguarding of children, education and development.
The Tree of Life is starting up a new program in Somalia in collaboration with government departments, national and international partners. The project whichis funded by “8×1000 Irpef” aims at Strengthening food and nutrition security of the most vulnerable communities through the promotion of agro-pastoral practices resilient to climate change in the Dawa River Basin – Gedo, Somalia
The project’s strategy aims to increase the productivity and climate resilience of agro-pastoral practices through livelihood diversification, nutritional training and the involvement of local institutions, communities and agro-pastoral households.
Job Title: Somalia Project Coordinator
Supervisor: Regional Coordinator
Duty station: Nairobi/Gedo, with frequent visits to the project target areas in Somalia
Starting date: immediately
Duration of the assignment: seven months fixed term, with 3 months’ probation.
Deadline for application: 15th November 2023
Summary of the role:
The Somali Project Manager will be in charge of managing and monitoring all project’s activities in Somalia, coordinating the whole implementation, reporting and completion of the project entitled: Strengthening food and nutrition security of the most vulnerable communities through the promotion of agro-pastoral practices resilient to climate change in the Dawa River Basin – Gedo, Somalia project”
In collaboration with other stakeholders, the candidate will coordinate a set of field and institutional activities, facilitating the smooth implementation of all components involved in the action.
He/She will be responsible for the operational and financial management of the intervention in collaboration with the project’s team and ToL admin department.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the whole implementation, reporting and completion of the project
- Organize proper project planning, activities’ work plans and financial plans to ensure smooth delivery of activities, outputs and indicators, in line with the approved budget, in close coordination with the project team.
- Monitor and coordinate the Somali project team involved in different phases and components of the action, including consultancies and short-term assignments.
- Coordinate the preparation and follow up of partner agreements, as well as other agreements (Service Agreements, MoUs, consultants, etc.) and relevant documents.
- Support implementing partners in achieving project objectives and indicators, ensuring that the required support to project partners is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the agreed donor requirements, while identifying and addressing delays and arising problems.
- Compile and aggregate monthly, quarterly, midterm and final narrative and quantitative reports, high quality institutional and donor reports, in line with Fadv-Tree of Life and donors/projects guidelines and requirements, maintaining a high degree of consistency, accuracy, relevance, compliance.
- Organize and attend partners’ coordination meetings.
- Develop and keep updated risks analysis and mitigation, M&E approaches, including theory of change, aimed at monitoring and evaluating the project as well as assessing and evaluating its impact in Gedo region.
- Keep the project under strict monitoring, both in terms of implementation and administration component, and activate corrective measures and amendments whenever needed, in line with the donor and Fadv-ToL guidelines.
- Ensure full compliance with donor’s guidelines, requirements, rules and regulations, with the support of the Regional Coordinator and the admin department.
- Coordinate and supervise project staff, plan and distribute tasks and workload among the team, and monitor their progress, achievements and constraints through regular work meetings and feedback mechanisms.
- Work with Fadv-ToL administration for the management of financial, administrative, procurement and logistical aspects related to all activities under this role’s responsibility.
- Monitor and coordinate expenditures vis a vis approved budget and financial plans.
- In coordination with the Regional Coordinator and the admin Department, propose and draft amendments and revisions of the project when necessary and in due time in compliance with donor requirements.
- Conduct data collection before and during the project implementation, monitoring activities and reporting.
- Develop and/or coordinate with other partners for the development of guidelines, SOPs, manuals etc. and any other deliverables.
- Participate to and/or organize high-level meeting with Government Departments, relevant sectorial meetings, networking with key stakeholders of the Tree of Life key sectors, supporting the creation of linkages and partnerships with government, CSOs, UN agencies, private entities, donors and any other relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure effective liaison with government departments and compliance with Government requirements.
- Provide training and capacity building to a variety of partners and stakeholders whenever needed.
- Properly document the achievements and lessons learned of the project activities and support the dissemination to partners and stakeholders, collecting and drawing conclusions from current and past projects to improve and strengthen current and future programing.
- In coordination with the supervisor, explore new program opportunities/development, build strategy for co-funding, expansion of programs and grants portfolio.
- Support the research of new donors and funding opportunities to support the development and expand the funds’ portfolio of Fadv-Tree of Life Regional office, both locally and internationally.
- Support the development of feasibility studies, assessments, concept papers, project proposal development in accordance with country strategy, taking into consideration integrated approaches.
- Support the organization visibility, awareness creation and fund-raising events, and the development of materials such as fact sheets, position papers, presentations, promotional materials, etc.
- Work as a team player providing relevant information and assistance to colleagues and ensuring the project for which you are responsible is interlinked and well aligned with others.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor, relevant to the achievement of Project and Fadv-ToL objectives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Bachelor degree in sustainable agriculture and rural development, project management or related discipline from a reputable University.
- Ability to work independently, suggest practical solutions and follow-up effectively on the management decisions.
- Background knowledge on development issues and /or areas related to food & nutrition and Livelihoods will be a strong asset.
- Good planning skills, pro-activity, creativity, and ability to meet the established deadlines.
- Good organizational and facilitating skills.
- Ability to build key relationships with internal and external stakeholders of various nature.
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian and development context in Somalia and East Africa
- Computer skills (Microsoft office word, excel, etc.).
- Excellent spoken and written English, Somali and Swahili.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Confident in managing multiple activities in a fast-paced environment.
- Motivated by our vision of creating a world where everyone is an educator, and where Children are the key actors of human and social development, being a faithful reflection of the past, present and future of the growth process.
Other Skills Required
- Honesty and strong ethics are required in order to be successful in this position.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated capacity and willingness to learn – open to learning new ways of doing things.
- Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality, participatory approach and sustainable development.
- Planning and management skills.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in Project Management and donor-funded programs.
- Experience coordinating a Somalia based project will be an added advantage
- Proven track record of creating linkages with Government agencies, learning institutions, civil society organizations and private sector stakeholders.
- Previous experiences in NGOs and not-for profit entities.
- Proven experience in planning and organizing activities.
- Experience of working with diverse teams, as well as ability to work with partners using effective interpersonal and communication skills.
Employees must sign a child Safeguarding Policy and a confidentiality agreement, and may not share organizational materials without the express written permission from a supervisor.
Respect – the Tree of Life aims to always show respect and appreciation for team members, Partners and all.
How to apply
The application should include the following:
- Cover letter (stating expected salary, and how your profile fits the position and the skills required). Applications without expected salary will not be considered.
- CV having 3 references with contacts.
The soft copy application should be sent to: email@example.com
with the subject indicating: Somalia Project coordinator
Deadline for application is 15th November 2023
Shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis and early applications are highly encouraged. FADV- TOL reserves the rights to close the vacancy earlier than the closing date, as soon as the right candidate is identified..
Do not attach in this phase ID documents, school or university certificates, or any other document that has not been requested.
Applications received after the deadline or incomplete will not be considered. Only short-listed candidate (s) will be contacted.
The Tree of Life is an equal opportunity employer, and respect all gender, nationality or religious affiliations.