Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Appointment type: SVN
Contract duration: SST , 6 months with possibility of extension
“ Subject to fund confirmation”
Senior Resources Management Assistant
Is this a Regional, HQ, MAC, PAC, Liaison Office, or a Country Office based position?
Country Office, Office of the DG’s Special Envoy for the Regional Response to the Venezuelan Situation
Position rated on
Not applicable – Pre-classified
Reports directly to
Number of Direct Reports
Organizational Context and Scope
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Operations in the IOM office of the DG’s Special Envoy for the Regional Response to the Venezuelan Situation (OSE), and direct supervision of the Head of Resources Management Officer (HRMO); and, in collaboration with relevant units at the Regional Office for the Americas and the IOM Office in Panama, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for managing the resources management functions in the OSE and providing support to the country offices as required.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provide overall support to the Resources Management Unit (RMU) in financial, procurement, human resources and other administrative activities;
- Monitor, process and reconcile financial transactions and payments to staff and suppliers in a timely manner, maintain financial records using the IOM Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System in line with IOM financial regulations;
- Contribute to the monitoring of budget versus actual financials for the operational activities of the Regional Office or Country Office;
- Review validity checks on monthly payroll projectization results of the Regional Office or Country Office;
- Review the imprest accounts and guarantee the safe custody of all available cash;
- Contribute to the preparation of the Regional Office of Country Office monthly accounts closure in compliance with the accounts closure checklist;
- Contribute to the preparation of budgets and accounting, financial, statistical and donor reports complying with relevant donor requirements;
- Oversee a filing system and ensure that all RMU documents and paid vouchers are properly filed and updated in the order in which they are entered in PRISM;
- Validate that all Travel Authorizations are duly completed before staff are authorized to travel and validate that all TAs and expense claims are duly completed and all supporting documents are attached prior to dispatch for computation and reimbursement;
- Provide general guidance and oversight on accounting, financial policies and procedures to the Regional Office or Country Office Units as required;
- Oversee the office asset inventory in line with IOM Assets inventory policy and maintain an updated asset inventory report;
- Oversee procurement activities including obtaining quotations, preparing evaluations and recommendations, issuing Purchase Requisitions (PR) Purchase Orders (PO) or Service Agreements (SA) and delivery of goods/services in accordance to IOM procurement guidelines;
- Assist in developing and enhancing tools and guidelines in the areas of mission risk-assessment reviews, monitoring and reporting;
- Act as the contract administration focal point in coordinating with the IOM Office of Legal Affairs (LEG) and finalise draft legal agreements;
- Liaise with the Regional Offices, Country Offices, MAC and PAC with regard to the financial and administrative activities as required; and,
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Accounting, Commerce, Business Administration with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- High school diploma with seven years of relevant professional experience
- Professional certification as Chartered Accountant (CA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) is an advantage.
- Experience in human resources, procurement and logistics;
- Experience using an Enterprise Resource Planning system; and,
- Experience working in an international organisation an advantage.
- Experience in financial administration including financial management, accounting, budgeting and audit;
- High level of computer literacy, good knowledge of MS Office, in particular in Excel;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work with national and international institutions;
- Ability to prepare clear and concise report;
- Demonstrated ability to and exercise sound judgment;
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) an advantage; and,
- Knowledge of SAP highly desirable.
For this position, fluency in Spanish and English is required (oral and written).
Working knowledge of Portuguese or French is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies: VALUES – All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values: Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
CORE COMPETENCIES – Behavioural indicators – Level 1
Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
 Competencies and respective levels should be drawn from the Competency Framework of the Organization.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.