For over a decade, the NIKE Foundation, inspired by Nike’s belief in human potential, has been focused on investing in girls. In 2008 the NIKE Foundation, in collaboration with NoVo Foundation, United Nations Foundation and other partners, launched the Girl Effect movement. With the support of over 150 partners in 90 countries, NIKE Foundation and the Girl Effect movement have positively impacted the lives of millions of girls and influenced investment in them. Girl Effect is now a new organisation, with continued support from the NIKE Foundation and multiple partners. The organisation works at scale and drives forward the ambition to reach 250 million girls living in poverty across the world by 2030, giving them the tools and access to the critical assets they need to achieve their full potential. Our mission? Change the world for girls and enable girls in their unique capacity to change the world.
Context of the role
The People function supports all Girl Effect employees across all our countries and at every stage of the employee lifecycle. From talent attraction and acquisition to talent management, reward management, training and leadership development, performance management to policy creation.
Girl Effect is in an exciting phase of growth and change, the Senior People Manager will be essential to this trajectory supporting the org in building diverse teams that can deliver at scale, establishing an innovative and agile culture of high performance, and developing our people further as exceptional leaders, managers and employees.
What you will do
- Take responsibility for maintaining all core HR team processes and compliance, from policy, payroll, employee relations and more, managing risk and ensuring compliance with all relevant employment laws and capabilities are in place
- Partner with Global Functional Leads and their teams to provide support and guidance across a range of people issues in order to achieve our objectives and influence strategy. These will include leading the People elements of change activity, driving talent and development initiatives, delivering any cyclical People activities such as pay reviews, promotions and performance conversations and resolving day-to-day people issues
- Provide technical support and capacity building in People matters to senior management and employees
- Work with People Team and country colleagues on a review of current compensation, benefits and offered (including allowances, leave, life insurance, medical schemes, pension, etc) across all our geographies and recommend to the Global Head of HR a fit-for-purpose strategy which will attract, motivate and retain highly skilled and competent staff
- Develop a clear Learning and Development plan, ensuring the right skills and individuals are invested in, in line with Girl Effect’s strategy
- Take an active interest and stance in Girl Effect’s Wellbeing agenda, reviewing our current offerings, owning mechanisms to gain feedback from employees and suggesting new initiatives which fit the world we’re operating in
- Refresh the organisational values and bring them to life in a meaningful way across the organisation
- Handle grievances and disciplinary matters in a timely, supportive and effective manner
- Operationalise our Diversity and Inclusion strategy and culture and find relevant and impactful ways to make team members feel included while working with the leadership team to make the GE brand an inclusive employer of choice
- As Girl Effect furthers its networked and remote working operations, create and develop Ways of Working policies that support both the organisation and employees in this, particularly with regard to flexible working
- Manage team members, provide capacity building to appropriate global colleagues and support the Global Head of HR
- Act as the delegated People Lead in the absence of the Global Head of HR
Who you are
Knowledge and experience
- Significant knowledge and experience of UK employment regulatory framework and ideally also US and/or other relevant jurisdictions
- Track record of operating as a true HR Business Partner, partnering with senior leaders and their teams to influence the business agenda
- Experience of shaping, leading and delivering complex projects successfully
- Knowledge and experience of designing and implementing best practice HR processes and an understanding of how to develop fit for purpose solutions
- Experience of managing a team with the ability to recognise the value and responsibility of working in a team, actively supports and develops team members, quick to identify and problem solve key issues
- Degree qualified or equivalent experience, ideally with CIPD qualification
- Applies a commercial approach, using internal and external intelligence to achieve business outcomes through People activities that align with Girl Effect’s Strategy
- Builds senior relationships effectively; gaining trust and credibility through expertise and delivery
- Comfortable working at pace, handling ambiguity and complexity in their stride to identify and deliver the right solutions
- Exceptional organisational skills; can plan and prioritise effectively across conflicting priorities to achieve great results
- A brilliant communicator and influencer, both verbally and in writing; handling tricky situations with flair and understands the art of listening
- Brings energy and a dynamic approach to work that creates a positive, can-do work environment
- Resilient; can absorb pressure and uses self-awareness to manage their emotions and those of others
- Takes the initiative, is proactive and seeks to exceed expectations
- Act as a role model for the organisation, displaying integrity and inspiring the confidence of others
- Culturally aware and respectful – curious and sensitive about the cultures in which we operate and able to work effectively in multicultural teams with varying expertise, skills and backgrounds
- Commitment to realising the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect
What else you should know
As we continue to scale and grow – we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective. In turn, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause.
Girl Effect is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We are committed to building an organization that is increasingly representative of the communities that we serve. To this end, due regard will be paid to recruiting candidates with diverse professional, academic and cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all those we work with and for, especially children and young people. We expect all staff to share this commitment, uphold standards in our safeguarding policy and our code of conduct. In particular:
- To take reasonable steps to prevent any harm caused by Girl Effect
- To report any safeguarding concerns through the reporting pathways
This role is subject to a Standard DBS Disclosure.
This role is being recruited on a 24 month fixed term contract basis.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Girl Effect on www.global.girleffect.org to apply