WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
Job Title: Senior Human Capital Investment Consultant
Type of Contract: Regular Consultant
Division: CBT / Cash-based-Transfers Division – Workforce Planning and Capacity Development Team
Duty Station (City, Country): Rome HQ, Italy
Duration: 11 months
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the largest organization providing cash assistance in humanitarian and development settings globally. In 2021, cash payments accounted for almost 40 percent of WFP’s global support to food insecure people around the world, amounting to US$2.3 billion. Cash provides our beneficiaries with the dignity of choice and help stimulate markets, creating employment opportunities, and provide unique settings for financial inclusion and women’s economic empowerment.
The Cash-Based Transfers (CBT) Division in WFP Headquarters in Rome is made up of a dynamic and agile team that works multi-functionally and with a range of innovative partners. Within the Division, the Workforce Planning and Capacity Development team is responsible for building capacity and capability of a global cash workforce focused on achieving excellence in cash programming.
The Human Capital Investment Officer will lead a team dedicated to people management aligned with WFP’s People Strategy. The incumbent will be responsible for: identifying and ring-fencing CBT’s global talent; ensuring diversity and inclusion; upskilling current and new staff through innovative and flexible training approaches; and ensuring performance management and progression for those who wish to foster a career in cash delivery. Drawing upon and managing the strengths and expertise of the team will be key to this role.
The consultant will work under the supervision of the CBT Chief of Field Support who is responsible for Workforce Planning and Development. The supervisor will provide clear guidance and project priorities and share existing experience and materials which will serve as the basis for the fulfilment of tasks. The consultant will also work with other team members within the CBT Division and across the organization to build people-centered and field-focused approaches to Workforce Planning and Development.
Ensuring that the right quality and quantity of skilled cash staff are available for the organisation’s global programme of work – now and into the future – will be overall objective of this role. The CBT Division’s priorities include anticipatory action, emergency response, women’s financial inclusion, and engagement with governments. A dynamic and flexible global workforce is critical to realizing these priorities.
- Develop an overarching strategy and workplan based on this TOR, including honing roles, identification of required competencies, and a framework of responsibilities, present and future, for the workforce team.
- Manage the staff within the workforce team, including performance appraisals and day to day guidance, and oversee the contracting of staff within the division in HQ (including diaspora staff).
- Develop and maintain a robust Management of Training System (MTS) that takes account of advances in the use, and application of, cash as an immediate life-saving tool, a driver of livelihood recovery, and a catalyst for development gains.
- In alignment with CBT’s approach to preparedness, ensure capacity development of cash-staff in countries categorized as needing a heightened state of corporate attention (CAS) are prioritized for trainings/guidance.
- Develop and lead the rollout of a comprehensive onboarding package for new recruits, and those progressing through the ranks that need to better understand how cash works. Embedding the right workforce culture along with minimum CBT knowledge requirements will be the cornerstone of this consultancy.
- Oversee the design of competency frameworks and provide options for the development of career pathways for global cash staff, ensuring engagement, productivity and retention by allowing professional and personal growth of staff andthe the development of existing and emerging talents.
- Contribute to thought leadership on workforce development for the Division, including the thematic areas of people management, diversity & inclusion, and staff identification, retention and succession.
- Work with the private sector and the WFP Innovation Center to ensure training and development tools and approaches that are considered are among those used by the best employers around the world.
- Work with other divisions within WFP to develop content on cash transfers for respective training programmes and simulation trainings, particularly the Emergencies Division.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong project management skills with the ability to manage multiple staff and projects at the same time and accomplish tasks with follow-through to completion;
- Knowledgeable and up to date on latest trends in learning and development and how these can be applied;
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to collaborate and influence across different levels and diverse teams in the organization;
- Excellent analytical and conceptual skills, as well as gender sensitive and cross-cultural competency;
- Proven ability to understand the needs of an organization and identify creative solutions;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Strong creative problems solving skills; agile, flexible and patient; ability to work with ambiguity, constructive approach to overcoming challenges and build consensus across diverse and global teams
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Advanced university degree in Human Resources, Organizational Design and Development, Social Sciences, Learning and Development or related field.
At least 8 years of work experience in one or more of the selected profiles and/or as HR specialist with a wide range of responsibilities
- Demonstrated experience in working for an international company/organization
- Demonstrated experience in designing and facilitating interactive and engaging workshops and training sessions
- Demonstrated experience in designing and facilitating team building activities and workshops
- Demonstrated experience in designing and facilitating team development and team effectiveness initiatives
- Demonstrated experience in working in strong partnership with all HR areas and with external vendors
- Previous experience in learning and development roles is considered a distinct advantage
- Work experience in the UN System is desirable.
Proficiency/level C of English
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 04 October 2022
Ref.: VA No. 167713
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
How to apply
Please, apply to the position through the following link: