Job #: req22671
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Spanish
Closing Date: 5/23/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The office of the Chief Economist for the Latin American and Caribbean Region of the World Bank (LCRCE) leads and manages region-wide analytical work and publications and contributes to defining the strategic orientation and focus of policy dialogue, analytical work, and operations of the World Bank in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). The office maintains a high profile by representing the World Bank in global for a dealing with regional issues. It also contributes to the policy dialogue on cross-sectoral development issues and provides quality enhancement services to analytical and advisory activities (AAA) and regional lending operations. For additional information see https://www.worldbank.org/en/region/lac/brief/lac-chief-economist .
The office of the Chief Economist for the Latin American and Caribbean Region of the World Bank is seeking to recruit a senior economist with (i) a solid theoretical and econometric background; (ii) a record of publications of high-quality original research in peer-reviewed journals; (iii) ability to apply and communicate technical knowledge in a policy environment; and (iv) excellent spoken and written proficiency in English; knowledge of Spanish or Portuguese is highly desirable.
The senior economist will report to the Chief Economist and Deputy Chief Economist for Latin America and the Caribbean. He/she will contribute to all the activities of the unit in his/her areas of expertise. His/her work will focus on strategic, analytical and policy matters of relevance for the economic and social development of LAC.
Her/his main functions are: – Participate in the analytical and advisory activities of the Regional Chief Economist Office.
– Lead and/or contribute inputs to regional analytical reports and, if needed, to country analytical reports.
– Author or co-author papers of publishable quality in top refereed field and general journals, in line with the work program of the Regional Chief Economist Office.
– Provide quality enhancement services (as commentator or peer reviewer) to analytical work in the region as well as provide comments and inputs to relevant reports initiated in the region and other units of the World Bank, including the Development Economics Group (DEC).
– Provide inputs to activities developed in support of the Regional Vice President’s Office, including inputs to technical/policy briefs and speaking notes.
– Participate on behalf of the Region and at the request of the Regional Chief Economist in conferences, seminars, and workshops, especially to present and disseminate analytical work developed along the above lines.
- PhD in Economics and at least 8 years of relevant post-graduate experience. Specializations in the areas of firm dynamics, innovation, entrepreneurship, labor markets, and poverty particularly desired.
- Strong knowledge of economic theory and econometric skills and demonstrated ability to generate policy-oriented research.
- Demonstrated ability to carry out and supervise state-of-the-art technical work. A strong publication record in refereed journals.
- Flexibility to undertake and lead analysis in a variety of economic development areas beyond the candidate’s main area of expertise.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Spanish and/or Portuguese (oral and written) desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong commitment to teamwork and knowledge sharing.
- Demonstrated ability to work in multidisciplinary teams on complex intellectual projects.
- Energy, collegiality, and a natural appetite to expand the Bank’s contribution to the development process.
In addition to the above, the successful candidate must demonstrate the following competencies:
- General Economic Knowledge and Analytical Skills – Possesses Cross-country knowledge in economic specialty and demonstrates ability to link macro, institutional, and micro-level behaviors; able to support findings/policy recommendations with credible analysis and tools.
- Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena – Translates technical and cross-country knowledge into practical applications and contributions to country and sector strategies; interacts with clients at the policy level.
- Policy Dialogue Skills – Anticipates needs and requests in the field and conducts independent policy discussions with representatives of the government and non-government partners.
- Integrative Skills – Understands relevant cross-sectoral areas and how they are interrelated; able to undertake cross-sectoral work in lending and non-lending operations.
- Written and Verbal Communication – Demonstrates the ability to influence and persuade others to accept ideas and suggestions (such as counterparts in government, international partner organizations, academia, and Bank colleagues, senior staff, and managers)
- Client Orientation – Maintains client relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions and provides evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge.
- Drive for Results – Identifies the needed resources to accomplish results involving multiple stakeholders and finds solutions to obstacles affecting key deliverables.
- Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Shows leadership in ensuring the team stays organized and focused, and actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches.
- Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Leads in the sharing of best practice, trends, knowledge, and lessons learned across units and with clients and partners, articulating ideas verbally and in writing in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels.
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact, and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long term.
Note: Applicants should include, as part of their application, a list of publications and other written work of which they are the primary author.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.