The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies. The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises.
The IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Disaster Law Officer
Location: Abuja (FCT)
- The IFRC is led by its Secretary-General and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
- The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions:
- National Society Development and Operations Coordination;
- Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and
- Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services.
- The IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas.
- The IFRC also has country cluster delegations and country delegations throughout the world.
- Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat.
- The IFRC Disaster Law promotes legal approaches to disaster management that make communities safer, humanitarian relief more effective and recovery stronger.
- It provides expert advice to National Societies and governments, undertakes legal research and fosters discussion and learning about the development of disaster law.
- The Programme operates under the mandates provided to the IFRC secretariat at the 28th, 30th, 31st and 33rd International Conferences of the Red Cross and Red Crescent and in the IFRC’s Strategy 2030.
- The Disaster Law Senior Officer will support disaster law activities throughout the Africa Region.
- The Disaster Law Senior Officer has a technical reporting line to the Disaster Law Coordinator for Africa.
- S/he works in close collaboration with other Region Units, regional representatives and country offices as well as with National Societies in the region.
- The Senior Officer forms an integral part of the IFRC’s global Disaster Law team.
- The purpose of this position is to support the management and implementation of the IFRC’s work on disaster law in the Africa Region in accordance with the Agenda for Renewal and the IFRC Disaster Law Operational Plan.
- This position will also support the Disaster Law Coordinator for Africa in his/her activities in Advocacy, Training and Research.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the implementation of the Disaster Law in line with the organisational strategy and the operational plan.
- Support National Societies in understanding and developing legal advocacy strategies and the implementation thereof in the field of Disaster Law.
- Undertake capacity building of National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies on legal issues in disaster response through the conduct of training and workshops on disaster law and legislative advocacy.
- Provide technical assistance on strengthening disaster law through National Societies to relevant authorities, through the implementation of country-level technical support projects.
- Support National Societies in developing advocacy strategies, to support legislative advocacy processes.
- Conduct periodic National Society project monitoring and evaluation on the scope and deliverables of the project
- Support the development and implementation of regional advocacy and dissemination strategies on disaster law activities.
- Promote improved understanding of the need for disaster law through social media engagement
- Support in the development, evaluation and piloting of Global Disaster Law Programme tools
- Support in advocacy efforts on Programme Resolution and tools to be presented at the International Conference and other international fora
- Engaging with International Organisations and RECs to develop strategies for sustainable and consistent engagement with National Societies, government agencies and regional organisations
- Ensuring proper budget monitoring and efficient utilization of donor funds
- Support in continued donor engagement globally through the development of proposals, provision of the updated status of implementation as well as timely reporting
- Support in the conduct of global and regional research as required, through collating information on the national society, government and UN agencies policies pertaining to relevant issues under research
- Contribute to the development of DL Global strategy, action plan and activities plan and priorities annually
- Bachelor of Laws qualification
- Advanced Degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Law, International Relations, International Development, International Affairs, Political Science or related fields
- At least 5 years of legal work experience in a related area is required
- At least 3 years of experience in project management is required
- At least 3 years of experience in advocacy is preferred
- Experience in legal/academic writing and drafting is required
- Experience in providing technical assistance in the development of legislation, including in developing countries is preferred
- Experience within the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is preferred.
Knowledge, skills and languages:
- Sound knowledge and understanding of international and national law and policy-making processes are required
- A good understanding of disaster preparedness and management concepts is preferred
- A good understanding of the global humanitarian system is preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written are required.
Competencies and values:
- National Society Relations
- Results Focus & Accountability
- Professional Mastery
- Managerial Effectiveness.
Application Closing Date
26th June, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The Federation is an equal opportunity employer.