Job Identification : 11746
Locations : New Delhi, India
Posting Date : 09/01/2023, 05:25 AM
Apply Before : 09/17/2023, 06:29 PM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NPSA-10
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Health
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration : 1 Year
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 5 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 7 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English and Hindi
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP has been working in India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development. Together with the Government of India and development partners, we have worked towards eradicating poverty, reducing inequalities, strengthening local governance, enhancing community resilience, protecting the environment, supporting policy initiatives and institutional reforms, and accelerating sustainable development for all.
With projects and programmes in every state and union territory in India, UNDP works with national and subnational government, and diverse development actors to deliver people-centric results, particularly for the most vulnerable and marginalized communities. As the integrator for collective action on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) within the UN system, we are committed to supporting the Government of India’s national development vision and priorities and accelerating the achievement of the SDGs for the people and the planet.
UNDP India’s Country Programme (2023-2027) builds on our prior work and aims to provide an integrated approach to development solutions in three strategic portfolios:
- Strong, accountable and evidence-led institutions for accelerated achievement of the SDGs.
- Enhanced economic opportunities and social protection to reduce inequality, with a focus on the marginalized.
- Climate-smart solutions, sustainable ecosystems and resilient development for reduced vulnerability.
South-South cooperation, gender equality and social inclusion are promoted across the pillars. The programme is supported by a framework of renewed partnerships and blended finance solutions, strategic innovation and accelerator labs, and data and digital architecture.
You are invited to join a team of future-smart development professionals to support India in achieving the national and globally agreed goals. As part of the UNDP team, your focus will be to work with diverse stakeholders to find country-specific solutions that lead to sustainable development and reach those furthest behind first.
In India UNDP is a long-standing partner of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) and its institutions at the State and District level. Guided by the government, the UNDP India work is fully carried out in close coordination with partner UN agencies and is focusing on better health services provided to population of India.
The overarching goal of UNDP’s work on health system strengthening in India is to facilitate equitable access to basic services by strengthening capacities of communities to demand and access services, and of institutions to deliver quality, timely and stigma free services and LNOB (Leaving no one behind).
The Gavi Alliance co-funded Health System Strengthening (HSS) programme is one of the efforts of the MoHFW to improve the quality and level of immunization coverage in India. UNDP has been a trusted partner of MoHFW and GAVI for many years in this flagship programme that has nationwide coverage and has supported vaccine delivery to over 1 billion people. The initially developed solutions (eVIN and CoWIN) have proven themselves well and now UNDP is given a unique opportunity to develop and integrate a new universal vaccination solution – U-Win – which will be the focus on the next phase of support.
While a large part of the HSS programme is related to digital solutions development, capacity building and implementation, it also includes technical support to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare for prevention and management of non-communicable diseases, Neglected Tropical diseases and for leveraging technologies to track high risk pregnancies and thereby reduce maternal and child mortalities rates. Working closely with other development partners, the programme also supports the National AIDS Control Organization’s efforts in prevention and control of HIV and AIDS.
Duties and Responsibilities
The results of the work of Project Coordinator has a direct impact on the implementation of the project and the achievement of results. Specifically, the results have an impact on the planning, implementation, monitoring and coordination of project activities and resources (human, financial, material assets etc.) in order to meet expected results and contribute to the overall success and impact of UNDP’s.
The Project Coordinator Technical Specialist reports to the Project Manager, and manages the Regional Programme Managers (NPSA 9 level).
The specific duties and responsibilities during the assignment will include, but not be limited to, the following: Support Efficient and effective planning, management, coordination, implementation and monitoring of project results and activities:
- Provide pro-active follow-up and support on the day-to-day coordination and implementation of the project activities following best practices of project and result-based management;
- Coordinate technical inputs in support to planned project activities in consultation with project technical experts, implementing partners, and other project stakeholders;
- Design and formulation of the programme support within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Oversees Regional teams, ensuring effective coordination and implementation of project activities with implementing partners at the regional, state and district levels.
- Collates and provide substantive and strategic technical advice to implementing partners and stakeholders to perform tasks related to project activities efficiently and effectively;
- Participate, collate and provide inputs in preparation project workplans, Annual Project Reviews, work plan, procurement plan and HR plan;
- Organize and provide secondary supervision of the activities of various administrative project team members ensuring that administrative tasks are performed accurately and effectively; e.g. asset management;
- Backstops for the Project Manager during his or her absence and represent the project leadership as delegated;
- Undertake other duties as assigned by the Project Manager or conduct proactively necessary contributions to the success of the project.
- Follow-up in ensuring the implementation of the recommendations of independent evaluation reviews and/or audits, as approved by UNDP Management.
Support monitoring and reporting of project activities in close collaboration with project partners and stakeholders:
- Support the Project Manager in managing and monitoring the project team (technical specialists, project officers, support staff, consultants, 3rd party contractors etc.) and ensure timely implementation, results–orientation and accountability for project results that incorporates creativity, innovation and responsiveness to emerging needs
- Prepare or provide, appropriate, technical programme management inputs to regular reports (monthly, quarterly, and annually) and propose activities to be implemented in the next reporting period;
- Monitor and report the progress on agreed results framework and performance indicators and take action/decision and/or provide timely support and guidance to project staff;
- Provide practical inputs to the development, preparation and implementation of SOPs;
- Assist with the logistical arrangements of independent evaluation reviews and audits related to the mission of the project;
- Draft agendas, correspondence, memos, letters, recommendations, proposals/concept notes, and other project related documentations and correspondences, as appropriate;
- Actively make field visits, collaborate with local counterparts and/or facilitate arrangements for joint monitoring visits to project sites as per the requirement of the project;
- Monitor project risks and support the development of mitigation measures thereof, relaying information to Project Manager.
Support implementation of project visibility and knowledge management activities:
- Contributes to the systematic capacity building of Implementing Partners and national/local counterparts through introduction of innovation and best practices, access to knowledge and expertise and promotion of their application to project implementation;
- Explore and facilitate mechanisms for replication and upscaling of successful results achieved
- Contribute to design and delivery of capacity building programmes at national and community levels based on prioritized capacity gaps/needs
- Contribute to communications materials and reporting highlighting UNDP’s work and the results achieved for people and the country through traditional and non-traditional media (e.g., news articles, blogs, photo stories, social media), in accordance with respective communication and branding guidelines
- Actively and systematically incorporate the lessons from project audits, evaluations and other processes into the project to improve effectiveness and operational processes
- Actively engage and promote teamwork, information sharing and collaboration within the project team and between project partners;
- Provide substantive inputs to presentations, visibility activities, advocacy, and other project-related materials, etc.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
Cross-functional and technical competencies: Cross-functional
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Innovation ecosystem curation: Ability to identify key players in an ecosystem, engage with them and mobilise them to build a community and over time a movement around a common mission that can bring about changes at the system level
- Human-centered Design: Ability to develop solutions to problems byy involving the human perspective in all steps of the problem-solving process.
- Client Management: Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real client needs.; Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests; Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
- Resource Management: Ability to allocate and use resources in a strategic or tactical way in line with principles of accountability and integrity.
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Public Administration, Business Administration or related field; or
- Bachelor’s degree in the related fields with additional years of relevant experience will be given due consideration in lieu of a Master’s degree
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience with Master’s (or) Seven (7) years with Bachelor’s degree in: Providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in project coordination and implementation. Demonstrated skills in financial, HR or procurement management.
- Experience in facilitating multi-stakeholder processes in international development sector.
- Experience in working directly with local governments is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and team building and leading skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Knowledge of result-oriented management project implementation
- Experience working in the UN system
- Experience collaborating with government agencies, international organizations, and community leaders.
- Knowledge of UN regulations, rules, and procedures
- Experience in Long distance management skills: managing staff working in remote areas
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English and Hindi.
- Remuneration starting at 2,784,346.64 INR (Annual) /232,028.89 INR (Monthly) as per the scale depending on qualifications and experience. The remuneration is excluding 8.33% pension amount paid over and above the salary.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.