About UN University (UNU)
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in policy-oriented research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on human survival, conflict prevention, sustainable development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 12 countries, UNU’s work spans the 17 Sustainable Development Goals’ full breadth, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe. For more information, please visit http://unu.edu
About Institute (UNU-IAS)
United Nations University, Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) is one of 14 research and training Institutes that comprise the think tanks in the UNU system. UNU-IAS is a UNU institute based at UNU Headquarters in Tokyo. The mission of UNU-IAS is to serve the international community through policy-relevant research and capacity development focused on sustainability, including its social, economic and environmental dimensions. Through its postgraduate education programmes UNU-IAS develops future international leaders with interdisciplinary understanding and skills needed to advance creative solutions to problems of sustainability. UNU-IAS builds on a strong tradition of UNU research and capacity development in Japan, undertaken in collaboration with a global network of professionals and scholars, particularly in Africa and Asia. For more information, please visit http://ias.unu.edu
Through postgraduate education UNU-IAS develops international leaders with the interdisciplinary understanding and technical skills needed to advance creative solutions to problems of sustainability. The institute offers master’s and doctoral degree programmes, and innovative short courses, in close collaboration with leading universities in Japan and other countries. For more information, please visit https://ias.unu.edu/en/admissions/degrees.
Under the overall supervision of the Director of UNU-IAS as well as Academic Advisor of the Postgraduate Degrees and Training (PDT) Programmes, and under the direct supervision of Programme and Administrative Head for the PDT programmes, and in close coordination with PDT Programme Coordinator as well as UNU-IAS Administration and other project teams, the Programme Associate is expected to undertake the following tasks: 1. Assist Academic Advisor and Administrative Head in planning and implementing training programmes and outreach activities under the PDT focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of working team meetings;
- Lead preparation of summary and background materials for various reports related the PDT programmes;
- Assist monitoring of implementation progress of the PDT workplan; and
- Support preparation of substantive inputs or specific deliverables of the PDT training programmes and outreach activities.
2. Promote implementation of the PDT short courses focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provides the preparation of substantive inputs of the PDT short courses, including Intensive Core courses, Global Seminar, Global Leadership Training Programme in Africa and other collaborative educational programmes with external stakeholders;
- Organizational and logistical support in intensive core courses and training programmes;
- Ensure selection process of short course programmes in collaboration with coordinators of the courses; and
- Support a delivery of the PDT short courses.
3. Coordinate and facilitate implementation of activities in collaboration with the Japanese universities focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Plan, coordinate, and implement a process of selection, budgetary allocation, evaluation for the research grant scheme of the Grant for Global Sustainability Programmes;
- Coordinate and facilitate logistical organization of the workshop for SDG-Universities Platform (SDG-UP) and maintain communications with the member universities of the platform to promote key activities and outputs; and
- Facilitate MoU process with the academic institutions as necessary.
4. Support partnership and outreach activities focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintain contacts and expand relationships with academic institutions in Japan and beyond for collaboration in the training programmes and outreach activities;
- Plan and organize outreach activities, including dialogue sessions with UNU related professionals and university students in Japan, to promote PDT training programmes; and
- Support outreach efforts for planning and implementation of the promotion activities of the PDT programmes.
5. Perform other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
Key performance indicators
- Timely and quality implementation of various programmes and projects implemented by the PDT
- Timely and quality coordination among faculty members and PDT staff for programmes and projects implemented by the PDT
- Quality communication with the donor, partner universities and experts involved
- Timely, complete and accurate documentation
- Information is easily available, and databases are up to date
- Inclusion — take action to create an environment of dignity and respect for all, regardless of age, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, geography, grade, language, nationality, racial identity, religion, sex, sex characteristics, sexual orientation, social origin or any other aspect of identity
- Integrity — act ethically, demonstrating the standards of conduct of the United Nations and taking prompt action in case of witnessing unprofessional or unethical behaviour, or any other breach of UN standards
- Humility — demonstrate self-awareness and willingness to learn from others
- Humanity — act according to the purposes of the United Nations: peace, dignity and equality on a healthy planet
- Connect and collaborate — build positive relationships with others to advance the work of the United Nations and work coherently as One UN
- Analyse and plan — seek out and use data from a wide range of sources to understand problems, inform decision-making, propose evidence-based solutions and plan action
- Deliver results with positive impact — hold oneself and others accountable for delivering results and making a positive difference to the people and causes that the United Nations serves
- Learn and develop — pursue own learning and development and contribute to the learning and development of others
- Adapt and innovate — demonstrate flexibility, agility and the ability to think and act in novel ways
Education and certification:
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree degree in higher education management, public administration, sustainable development, or a related field
- Bachelor’s degree with 5 years or Master’s degree with 2 years of relevant working experience is required preferably in a higher education institution;
- Knowledge and experience related to academic and student affairs, and research grant management preferably in an international setting;
- Strong ability of coordination and networking with other academic institutions in Japan is required;
- Proficiency in IT skills and data management, as well as working knowledge and experience in the use of MS Office (such as Excel, Access, and Word), and familiarity with any Oracle based Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system is required;
- Familiarity with the UN system and current issues related to sustainability is an advantage;
- Proven ability to efficiently manage a variable workload and ability to work under minimal supervision and with high level of resilience; and
- Good team player with strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Excellent writing and communications skills in both Japanese and English.
The successful candidate will be employed under a national PSA contract. UNU offers an attractive compensation package including a monthly net salary of the range of JPY 413,167 – 485,250 commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Benefits include 30 days annual leave and a health insurance scheme.
PSA holders are required to enroll in Japan’s national social health care and pension insurance systems.
UNU is not liable for any taxes that may be levied on the remuneration you receive under this contract. Payment of any such taxes remains the sole responsibility of PSA holders. Duration of contract
The duration of the initial contract is 1 year. This is Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU, with the possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance. The combined duration on a PSA contract with UNU may not exceed six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for PSA holders is 65 years.
Expected start date: As soon as possible
How to Apply:
To apply to UNU, you will not need an account. Instead, we ask that you:
- Apply via the apply link;
- fill out the UNU P11 form (please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations);
- provide a motivation statement (in the P11 form); and
- answer a few questions that are tailored to the position.
You may wish to refer to the UN Values and Behaviours Framework for more information.
15 June 2023 (UTC)
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include a desk review and/or a competency-based interview, background checks and references.
National PSA only: UNU does not sponsor a working visa for this position.
PSA holders do no hold international civil servant status nor are they considered a “staff member” as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization. Applications from developing countries, and from women are strongly encouraged. Eligible internal applicants are also encouraged to apply.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Information about UNU rosters
UNU reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNU.
UNU does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.