Job #: req22473
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language(s): Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 5/14/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank consists of two entities – the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA). It is a global development cooperative owned by 189 member countries. As the largest development bank in the world, the World Bank provides loans, guarantees, risk management products, and advisory services to middle-income and creditworthy low-income countries, and coordinates responses to regional and global challenges. Visit www.worldbank.org.
The Corporate Procurement Unit is responsible for the procurement of goods, works and services (including consulting services) to support the WBG’s 130+ offices around the world. Corporate Procurement manages an annual spend around USD 2B with around 25,000 vendors. The team has staff located in Washington, DC, Chennai, India and Sofia, Bulgaria. Corporate Procurement utilizes category management to achieve better outcomes, improved quality, greater savings, efficient use of resources, a better understanding of the market, and an increased focus on collaboration and innovation. Corporate Procurement focuses on three key principles: Commerciality, Risk Management, and Sustainability. Categories of spend include: i) Financial Services; ii) Human Resources and Professional Services; iii) Corporate Services and Real Estate; and iv) Information Technology. To learn more about Corporate Procurement, visit: CP website.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Procurement Analyst (Category Analyst) position is located at the Corporate Procurement Corporate Services and Real Estate (CSRE), Human Resource and Professional Services (HRPS) and Technology (TECH) teams in Chennai, India. This position reports to the Senior Procurement Specialists (Head of Categories), who in turn report to the Chief of Corporate Procurement.
Responsibilities include being a valued business partner to clients, understanding business needs, developing annual procurement plans, conducting internal (e.g., data-driven; category spend, client strategies, stakeholder analysis, and SWOT), and external analysis (e.g., market research & forecast, market share & trends, benchmarks, cost drivers), advising clients on market trends, and influencing change with the intent to maximize value for money while managing risks and maximizing impact on sustainability.
The CSRE category includes, but is not limited to, construction and facility management, travel, security, food conference and events, printing and publishing, transportation, shipping and logistics, language services, health services, corporate services, and audio-visual services.
The HRPS category includes, but is not limited to training, labor augmentation, recruitment and consulting services.
The TECH category includes, but is not limited to, IT Infrastructure (Data Center & colocation service, Mid-High-end servers and software, Data Back-up services), Telecom, Office/Collaboration tools, Enterprise Business Applications (HR, FinTech, etc.), IT Software and Services which involve cloud-based software services (XaaS), and other related IT solutions including disruptive technologies (AI/ML, IOT, DLT etc.).
The position for the category teams requires in-depth knowledge of the CSRE, HRPS, TECH categories respectively and skills to lead sourcing initiatives from business needs to contract closeout including conducting negotiations, and dispute resolution; collaborate with business partners; and advise colleagues in WBG office worldwide on policy related matters.
Key accountability for this position includes:
- Conducts procurement, sourcing, and category management activities required by the World Bank Group globally.
- Understands client’s needs, generates solicitations, and manages bidding process for assigned areas; collaborates with clients in developing procurement plans; carries out market research to identify sources of supply; reviews technical specifications for completeness and competitive qualities; develops vendor pre-qualifying and evaluation criteria; prepares contracts; and engages vendors in process discussions.
- Negotiates contract terms and conditions for the assigned categories.
- Category management of designated categories.
- Monitors vendor commercial performance.
- Conducts research, trend analysis and benchmarking in international markets including category management.
- Leads/guides remotely located teams in performing medium to complex procurements.
- Liaises with clients in preparation and delivery of presentations to Procurement Committees.
- Undertakes activities to ensure compliance with World Bank Groups’ policy.
- Provides guidance and direction to Project Managers on commercial contract management issues.
- Designs innovative solutions for medium to complex solicitations for large dollar and through a service risk-based approach.
- Possesses an expert level understanding of commerciality and ability to demonstrate achieving value for money through strategic planning, solicitation, and negotiations.
- Maximizes positive impact on sustainability (diversity, environment, social responsibility) through the sourcing process and category management.
- Possesses a good understanding of risk management, analyses risks, and works with business partners to mitigate risks through sourcing and managing risks during category management.
Due to the requirements of the job, this position may require frequent adjustments to the work schedule created by the time zone difference with many of the clients it supports and may also involve a limited amount of travel.
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum five years of relevant experience in CSRE or HRPS or TECH categories.
- Practical experience in international procurement with full knowledge of procurement techniques and practices used in the public and private sector and experience in contract drafting and administration.
- Knowledge and experience conducting procurements for a wide variety of categories and in category management.
- Experience in executing solicitations and contracts in a services organization.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Public Sector and/or UN System procurement processes is desirable.
- Effective negotiating and presentation skills.
- Proven analytical skills, including the ability to analyze corporate financial statements/reports and develop well-balanced recommendations on procurement awards and related issues.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with complex procurement situations.
- Ability to conduct research, articulate issues and recommend solutions.
- Ability to draft components of major reports and effectively provide professional support to senior staff.
- Ability to proactively manage the work program, contribute to team responsibilities and manage client expectations.
- Strong Project Management skills and manage all aspects of multiple related projects to ensure the overall program is aligned to and directly supports the achievement of strategic objectives.
- Excellent leadership, strong communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in use of business-related software (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, ERP); experience using procurement software systems such as SAP, R3, Materials Management; and data analytical skills (PowerBI, Databricks etc.) will be desirable. General Competencies:
- Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Superior communication skills in English (verbal, written, and comprehension).
- Ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams within a matrix management environment, as well as an individual contributor and ability to resolve interpersonal conflict.
- Strong client service orientation.
- Other language skills would be an asset.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.