The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
In Ukraine, UNOPS support to the partners in their reform agenda since 2017 spans the rule of law, social protection, demining, emergency response and security. The projects are funded by the EU, the Governments of Japan and Canada.
All projects have gender equality as a transversal theme, and have been contextualised within the broader Sustainable Development Goals frameworks and objectives.
Following the increased militarisation around Ukraine’s borders as well as the recognition of the so-called Donetsk and Lugansk People’s Republics by the Russian Federation, the security situation in Ukraine deteriorated rapidly, with the launch of a military offensive by the Russian Federation on 24 February 2022. Armed violence escalated in at least eight oblasts (regions), including Kyivska oblast and the capital city of Kyiv, as well as in the eastern oblasts of Donetsk and Luhanska which were already affected by conflict. The towns of Mariupol, Kharkiv, Irpin were strongly affected, so resident civilians fled their homes en masse.
Martial law and a state of war were introduced in Ukraine on 24 February 2022, and the general mobilisation of all Ukrainian males between 18 and 60 years old was ordered, while the Ukrainian airspace was closed to civilian users.
The UNOPS immediately launched its Emergency Procurement Procedure (EPP) to enable a faster response to requirements related to the crisis. The EPP provided flexibility in procurement procedures while still ensuring adherence to essential public procurement principles.
Under the direct supervision of the Procurement Specialist and under the guidance from the Head of Support Services, the Procurement Associate ensures the provision of efficient and timely support services in procurement and contract administration to the different programmers in a relevant geographical area. He/she promotes a client-focused, quality and results- oriented approach and provides support to the relevant procurement personnel. In the discharge of her/his duties, the Procurement Associate works with minimal supervision and liaises with UNOPS Programme Support Officers, Chief Technical Advisors, Portfolio Managers and Portfolio Assistants in order to ensure best support.
Summary of Key results area:
- Transactional Procurement Support services
- Procurement planning, requisitions and sourcing
- Bidding and tendering processes
- Contract administration
- Team Management
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
1. Transactional Procurement Support services
Administers a range of transactional-procurement support activities, ensuring compliance with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies, including the following:
- Incorporation of necessary steps to embed sustainability in the procurement process.
- Completeness of submissions to the Contract and Property Committees (CPCs).
- Completeness of documentation for preparation/processing of Purchase Orders, Contracts, LTAs or their Amendments.
- Provision of requested research/data on market supply by conducting routine market research to determine sources of supplies, using United Nations Global Market Place, and other external sources;
- Set-up/enhancement and maintenance of the local supplier database, ensuring regular update of data.
- Information databases, all procurement files and records updated and maintained.
- Status reports generated, as required.
- Availability of all supporting documents for audit and review purposes
2. Procurement planning, requisitions and sourcing
Administratively and technically supports the office’s planning, requisitions/procurement and sourcing support processes, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collaboration with projects personnel and Managers in the preparation of their procurement plan, awarding, administering and monitoring of all matters related to procurement for the given geographical area / project activity.
- Maintenance and update of procurement monitoring processes for projects and provision of feedback on purchase orders to requesting office;
- Provision of proposals to requesting entity on modes for providing goods, works and services, including procurement deadlines for each stage;
- Review of requisitions for completeness;
- Preparation of proper and complete specification for equipment and materials, Job Profiles and Statement of Works for the preparation of RFP, RFQ and ITB, ensuring clearance/approval by respective units of the requests.
- Constant liaison with vendors and consignee until safe delivery of goods is achieved.
- Drafting of letters, memoranda, faxes, email, etc.; monitoring of progress and liaison with vendors during the entire procurement cycle; investigation and resolution of post-order problems and of progress reports on procurement matters;
- Oral/written responses to queries from projects, clients, companies, etc. regarding procurement related matters
- Preparation of monthly reports on procurement matters;
- Liaison with the logistics unit or projects on receipt of goods, equipments and services in view of obtaining proper delivery report, RIR (Receipt and Inspection Report), or relevant certificates and that proper inventory is taken
3. Bidding and tendering processes
Undertakes or supervises technical support to bidding and tendering processes, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of shortlists of suitable contractors/suppliers for purchases of value over designated amounts for approval of designated officer;
- Preparation and issuance of EOI, RFQ, ITB, RFP or other tender documents as required, ensuring their conformity with UNOPS approved templates or seeking legal clearance in case of required adjustments;
- Together with the requesting programme/operations clients, support review and evaluation of bids or proposals received and preparation of analysis for less-complex, contract awards and for submission to the LCPC or other, statutory, designated body;
- Preparation of HQCPC, or designated body, submission together with the requesting programme/operations component;
- Organizing of LCPC (or desiganted, statutory body) meetings as may be required, and circulating at least 24 hours in advance documents for review;
- Maintenance of records of LCPC or designated, statutory body
4. Contract administration
Supports efficient contract administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Follow-up signing of contracts by vendors;
- Obligation of funds in Enterprise system and obtaining of appropriate signatures for approval;
- Dissemination of contract advertisement and awards;
- Maintenance of contracts and filing system;
- Maintenance of databases/rosters of best suppliers, contractors and service providers, activities and statistic
5. Team Management
- Facilitates the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development.
- Provides oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices
6. Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Organizes, facilitates and/or delivers training and learning initiatives for personnel on procurement
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in procurement
- Collects feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- First University Degree in Procurement and/or Supply Chain Management, Law, Commerce, Business Administration, or related areas is desirable but not required.
- Relevant certification in procurement and supply chain management (CIPS or similar) is a distinct advantage.
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience in providing procurement support services in national and/or international public or corporate organizations is required
- Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable.
- Experience in use of Enterprise systems including OneUNOPS is desirable
- Full working knowledge of English and Ukrainian
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
This is a local position, it is therefore open to Nationals of Ukraine and to individuals who have a valid residence/work permit.
Contract type: Ongoing ICA
Contract level: Local ICA Support – LICA 6 (ICS6)
Contract duration: Open-ended subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and/or to satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
TOGETHER, WE BUILD THE FUTURE
UNOPS – an operational arm of the United Nations – supports the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by successfully implementing its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world.
Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.
We are proud of our people. The UNOPS family brings together approximately 160 nationalities, represented by over 5,000 UNOPS personnel as well as some 7,800 personnel recruited on behalf on our partners. Spread across 80 countries, our workforce is rich in diversity and culture – with inclusion at its core.
We understand the importance of balancing professional and personal demands and offer several flexible working options.
Explore what we offer here.