Principal Investment Officer
Job #: req22602
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Abidjan,Cote d’Ivoire
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): French
Closing Date: 5/23/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC’s PPP Transaction Advisory Services in Public Private Partnerships unit (CTAPP) is focused on assisting governments in developing and bringing to market public-private partnerships (PPPs) primarily in the infrastructure and social sectors. CTAPP Africa Region (CTAPA) is now seeking to recruit a Principal Investment Officer (PIO), to enhance the development and implementation of its program in the Africa region, supporting the Regional Manager and hub leads in the 4 sub-regions in the continent.
The position is based in Abidjan, Cote D’Ivore and reports to the Regional Manager, CTAPA.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Support the Regional Manager and work with hub leaders to develop a strategy to scale up CTAPA operations in Africa, taking a proactive approach to developing new client contacts and project leads;
- Develop and maintain a network of senior contacts in government, private sector, donors and relevant multilaterals.
- Lead the preparation of select proposals or mandates for new projects, negotiation with clients and the internal approval processes;
- Develop a thorough understanding of the Africa, particularly its infrastructure sectors, provide market intelligence and knowledge of developments in the general business environment;
- Lead complex mandates and supervise the execution of select transactions; ensuring quality execution, good client service and development of staff;
- Manage the drafting and negotiation of contractual and bidding documents such as concession agreements, shareholder agreements, etc.
- Lead the marketing of the transaction to potential private sector investors;
- Manage the execution of competitive, transparent tender processes, and the resultant finalization of contractual agreements between investors and client governments;
- Any other duties assigned by the Regional Manager.
- MBA or equivalent degree in business, finance or economics;
- At least 15-years experience in developing and/or implementing PPP projects, or other relevant experience, ideally across multiple countries or regions and preferably with exposure in Africa;
- Understanding of PPPs and different structures for engaging the private participation in the delivery of infrastructure services and ability to articulate the pros and cons of alternative approaches and potential structures;
- Deep understanding of the infrastructure business and experience of working across different infrastructure sub-sectors;
- Experience and credibility in dealing at a senior level with government clients, investors and other stakeholders of infrastructure projects;
- Strong knowledge, networks and credibility within the government and business communities, across the region;
- Strong financial, analytical and modeling skills; sound business judgment; ability to find creative solutions to accommodate different interests. Experience in reviewing legal documents and/or technical studies;
- Strong track record of contractual and/or financial closings of infrastructure transactions and ability to develop innovative solutions;
- Experience in successfully managing diverse project teams on multiple transactions. Open to feedback and new ideas but with an ability to guide staff to solutions;
- Proficiency in English and French;
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral, including the ability to convey ideas and positions clearly and persuasively;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish and develop relationships;
- Leadership, coaching and mentoring skills;
- Highest standards of ethical integrity and transparency;
- Willingness to travel extensively across the region;
- Motivated and enthusiastic about the opportunities and challenges of sustainable development.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.