Nursery for the production of plants in the Project + Forests ( Los Ríos Region )
Job advertisement : Aug 15/2023
Publication cancellation date : Aug 29, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FLCHI
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: NPP ( National Project Personnel )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Chile
Duration: 3 evidentiary months, with the possibility of annual extension
Position Number: N / A
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The main objective of FAO country offices, headed by an FAO Representative, is to help governments develop policies, programs and projects to achieve food security and reduce hunger and malnutrition, help develop the agricultural, fisheries, forestry sectors and use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable way.
This vacancy is part of the project approved by the Green Climate Fund “ Chile REDD-plus Payment for Results period 2014-2016 ” than FAO, in association with the National Forest Corporation of Chile ( CONAF ), it will execute to increase the resilience of ecosystems and native forest, and contribute to mitigating climate change in Chile. The project will contribute to reducing the social, environmental and economic vulnerability generated by climate change, desertification, land degradation and drought, in the forests and local communities that depend on them in 6 regions of the country ( Maule, Biobío, Ñuble, Araucanía, Los Ríos and Los Lagos ).
Technicians represent an important source of expertise for FAO and make their specialized contributions worldwide to achieve the strategic objectives of the Organization. In order for FAO to attract and employ the best possible experts in the wide range of technical areas of its mandate, a competitive selection process has been introduced.
Under the general supervision of the National Project Coordinator, the direct supervision of the Technical Assistant of the Project in FAO and with the technical advice of the head/a CONAF regional forest and climate change department, Climate Change Coordinator and Regional Technical Specialist.
Field of specialization
The Viverista has as work the support in the strategic functions of the Huillilemu Nursery, in order to promote the production of plants, preferably native, those that will be destined for the Project + Forests financed by the Green Climate Fund within the framework of the ENCCRV and the REDD + approach, ensuring the achievement of the objectives and goals proposed in accordance with the policies and regulations established by FAO, the Green Climate Fund and by the State of Chile and the generation of environmental, economic and social co-benefits for vulnerable groups defined in the ENCCRV, through the implementation of the ENCCRV action measures.
The vacancy’s headquarters are located in the Huillilemu Nursery, owned by CONAF, located in the commune of Mariquina, Los Ríos region. It is present that the Nursery Member must be available to make frequent field trips, inside or outside the region.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Produce and maintain, in adequate quantity and quality, forest species associated with the project.
- Collaborate in the collection, cleaning and storage of seeds.
- Collaborate in the collection and propagation of vegetative material of native species of the region.
- Support in the production of native plants of different species.
- Collaborate in the planting, vegetative reproduction and cultural management processes of the CONAF nursery.
- Execute irrigation and maintenance ( demalezation and order ) of the plants in production.
- Support in general operational activities related to the project.
- Collaborate with the adequate protection and maintenance of goods and supplies in general, associated with the project.
- Participate in training and technical transfer activities arranged by the + Forest project.
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUATED IN ARRANGEMENT TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Full basic schooling accreditation.
- Verifiable experience of at least 2 years in works related to nursery activities and plant production.
- Spanish domain ( C level ).
- Chilean nationality.
- Results-based approach
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement
Selection criteria ( creditable experiences )
- Demonstrable experience in the production of plants and / or collection of native forest seeds.
- Experience in sowing, recognizing and collecting native seeds.
- Verifiable experience in the work of production and management of native plants in the Los Ríos region.
- Training in plant production, through vegetative reproduction and planting, etc.
- Knowledge of native species of the Los Ríos region.
- Availability to support the activities of CONAF nurseries.
- Proven ability to perform teamwork.
- Availability to go out on the ground both inside and outside the Los Ríos region.
- Immediate availability.
- Availability for the execution of shifts on weekends, especially in summer, depending on the needs of the garden and nursery.
- Residence in the commune of Mariquina, Los Ríos region.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process ( application, interview, processing ).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help or have questions, contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/.
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
PRESENTATION OF REQUESTMENTS
- If you want to apply, go to the FAO Recruitment Website ( Employment in FAO ) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. Only applications received through the contracting portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to submit their application sufficiently in advance of the expiration of the term.
- If you need help, contact: [email protected].
IN THE LOCALS OF FAO IT IS FORBIDDEN TO SMOKE