National Consultant on Partnership and Resource Mobilization
Location : Home based with travels to Kazakhstan
Application Deadline : 18-Sep-23 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English Russian
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
Duration of Initial Contract : 6 months
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The UN Women Country Office (CO) cooperates with national and international counterparts in implementation of projects and programmes for advancing gender equality and the empowerment of women at the national and sub-regional level in accordance with its Strategic Note for 2022-2025 and the global UN Women Strategic Plan 2022-2025. On the national level the Office closely cooperates with the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Civil Society Organizations, Private Sector and other partners.
Resource mobilization efforts for gender equality and women’s empowerment in Kazakhstan are embedded within a changing paradigm and context. As a country with upper-middle-income, resource mobilization presents many context-specific challenges and opportunities. UN Women office is engaged in a wide variety of efforts to mobilize resources, working within the reality of the strained post-COVID financial climate among traditional donors– prompting the need for creative strategies to mobilize resources through new and diverse partnerships, including private sector and International Financial Institutions.
To further strengthen UN Women’s partnership development and management as well as resource mobilization, UN Women CO in Kazakhstan is looking for a national consultant who can provide expert and technical support in resource mobilization efforts and develop a resource mobilization strategy and action plan that is carefully considered, relevant, strategic, attainable, measurable and time-bound, consolidating country, sub-regional and regional efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the UN Women Programme Specialist, Head of Office Ad Interim, the National Consultant on Partnership and Resource Mobilization will be responsible for the following key tasks and objectives:
- Conduct research and analysis to identify concrete funding opportunities, trends, and priorities in Kazakhstan’s policy regarding gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Conduct a comprehensive mapping of potential donors, including governments, international organizations, foundations, and private sector partners, with an emphasis on their interests and funding priorities related to gender equality.
- Develop a comprehensive resource mobilization strategy and an action plan for 2024-2026 to secure funding for UN Women’s projects and initiatives in Kazakhstan.
- Participate in the meetings with relevant partners and donors, synthesize findings and prepare recommendations for effective mid-term and long-term engagement on perspective initiatives.
- Based on negotiations and interactions with partners and donors prepare at least 3 high-quality proposals according to potential Donors’ formats for the Government of Kazakhstan and at least 3 high-quality proposals for International Financial Organizations (for example, World Bank, ADB, EBRD etc.), Official Development Assistance programmes and regional bureaus and other international donors (such as European Union, USAID, KOICA, JICA, Supplementary Budget Funding of Japan and other opportunities.), private and quasi-state sector companies in Kazakhstan and other funding applications in collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
- Provide technical support and capacity building to UN Women staff on resource mobilization, donor engagement, and partnership development.
- Prepare regular progress and final reports on resource mobilization activities and achievements.
Deliverables: The consultant will be expected to deliver the following deliverables:
- A detailed landscape analysis report on potential funding opportunities, trends, priorities and partners in Kazakhstan.
- Comprehensive mapping of relevant organizations, institutions, and donors interested in initiatives and cooperation in the area of gender equality and women’s empowerment, including categories, priority areas, and strategies for engagement and collaboration.
- A resource mobilization strategy for the period 2024-2026 outlining potential funding opportunities, donors, and a step-by-step plan for securing resources to support UN Women’s initiatives.
- At least 3 high-quality proposals according to potential Donors’ formats for the Government of Kazakhstan and at least 3 high-quality proposals for International Financial Organizations (for example, World Bank, ADB, EBRD etc.), ODA programmes and regional bureaus and other international donors (such as European Union, USAID, KOICA, JICA, Supplementary Budget Funding of Japan and other opportunities.), private and quasi-state sector companies and other funding applications in collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
- A capacity-building workshop for the UN Women team focused on partnership development and resource mobilization.
- Monthly progress reports and a final report, including timesheets and other supporting documentation.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s or equivalent) in social sciences (economics, political science, international development, public or business administration), human rights or a related field. PhD will be an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years of the professional experience in visioning and strategic partnerships and resource mobilization efforts
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in developing strategic plans and RM strategies, experience in developing roadmaps for UN Women is an asset
- Prior work experience of working in international development in a complex setting and with multiple stakeholders (civil society organizations, international institutions and donors), and experience in Central Asian region is desirable
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken English and Russian, knowledge of Kazakh language is an advantage.
Evaluation criteria: This SSA modality is governed by UN Women General Terms and Conditions. UN Women will only be able to respond to applicants who meet the minimum requirements.
Candidates should clearly indicate how they meet the above-mentioned criteria in their applications.
The following documents should be submitted as part of the application. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials:
- UN Women P11 including experience in similar assignments; the P11 form can be downloaded at http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment, a signed copy should be submitted;
- Letter of Interest containing the statement on candidate’s experience, including experience in similar assignments and qualification against required qualification, experience and competencies.
- Proposal: provide a brief methodology on how they will approach and conduct the work specific to the above listed deliverables;
Note: Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Please upload as one attachment of the documents as mentioned above online through this website.
Candidates should have the ability to quickly submit degree certificates, medical certification (of good health) expression of Interest (EoI).
Evaluation of applicants
Candidates will be evaluated using a cumulative analysis method taking into consideration the combination of the applicants’ qualifications mentioned above, and financial proposal. A contract will be awarded to the individual consultant whose offer receives the highest score out of below defined technical and financial criteria. Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 50 points in the technical evaluation will be considered for financial evaluation.
Technical Evaluation (70%) – max. 70 points:
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s or equivalent), PhD will be an asset (5 points);
- At least 5 years of professional experience working on resource mobilization, donor engagement and strategic planning at the international level in facilitating strategic planning processes and drafting strategic/business plans for complex institutions is essential; (15 points)
- At least one previous experience in drafting a resource mobilization strategy with other international organizations (10 points)
- Knowledge of the relevant international frameworks pertaining to gender equality and women’s empowerment, as well as gender mainstreaming and gender analysis; (10 points)
- Experience working with civil society organizations, international institutions and donors; (10 points)
- Prior work experience of working in international development in the Central Asian region is desirable (10 points)
- Quality of proposal (10 points)
Financial Evaluation (30%) – max. 30 points.
The maximum number of points assigned to the financial proposal is allocated to the lowest price proposal. All other price proposals receive points in inverse proportion. A suggested formula is as follows: p = 30 (µ/z)
Using the following values: p = points for the financial proposal being evaluated
µ = price of the lowest priced proposal
z = price of the proposal being evaluated
Only long-listed candidates will be contacted.
Financial proposal. Shortlisted candidate will be requested to submit a financial proposal. The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount breaking down a daily professional fee, proposed number of working days and any related expenses, i.e.: communications expenses.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)
PLEASE NOTE: ONLY RESIDENTS OF REPUBLIC OF KAZAKHSTAN WILL BE CONSIDERED.