Purpose and Objectives:
The Ethiopian Disaster Risk Management Commission (EDRMC), in collaboration with the Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC) and technical and funding support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, is implementing a program “Improving Coordination Capacity for Preparedness and Emergency Response in Ethiopia (ETCOR)”. The program aims to improve the institutional capacity of EDRMC and key sector ministries by enhancing systems, capacity, and coordination mechanisms for preparedness and response, and improving information and knowledge management systems. This includes the automation and development of a virtual working platform that integrates logistics, commodity, and warehouse management systems and Emergency Coordination Centers (ECCs). To achieve these objectives, EDRMC is seeking a qualified ICT Advisor (Consultant) to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, to support the implementation of identified activities in this TOR.
The ICT Advisor will provide technical advisory and support for:
- Upgrading Drupal from the existing version to 9/10 version.
- Customization of Sharepoint.
- Review, update, develop, and implement EDRMC’s ICT policy, strategy and roadmap for digitization.
- Technical assistance for harmonization and automation of ICT and information management systems.
Note: This consultant position is open to Ethiopian Nationals only. The position is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
As a member of the Technical Support Unit (TSU) within the EDRMC and reporting to the Deputy Commissioner for DRM, the ICT Advisor is expected to provide technical assistance to the ICT Directorate in coordination with other Directorates.
- Upgraded Drupal from the existing version to 9/10 version.
- Customized Sharepoint.
- ICT policy, strategy and roadmap reviewed, developed, and documented for digitization.
- Technical resources and inputs for enhanced EDRMC’s ICT and automated information management systems.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Linkage strengthening: Support and enhance the integration of information management and ICT-related support areas across EDRMC departments.
- Technical assistance and harmonization: Provide technical assistance for the harmonization and automation of the information management system.
- System assessment and recommendations: Assess the overall ICT and information management system, identify challenges and gaps within the ICT sector and formulate feasible recommendations to address identified issues.
- Reporting and progress updates: Deliver regular monthly updates on system improvement and prepare comprehensive quarterly reports on ICT and information management system implementation progress.
- Other duties: Undertake additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by EDRMC to achieve the overall objectives of the position.
In performing the duties and responsibilities indicated above, the consultant will report directly to the Deputy Commissioner at EDRMC, work closely with the ICT Directorate Director and staff, and coordinate with other EDRMC Directorates.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Information and Communication Technology, Management Information Systems (MIS), or related fields. Working experience in Ethiopia is essential. Ph.D. in a related field would be an added advantage.
- At least 10 years of proven experience in ICT, software development, database management, information systems and management.
- Experience in Drupal-based web portal design and development.
- Familiarity and at least 5 years of experience in working with government agencies.
- Knowledge of the working ethics of national government agencies, international NGOs, national NGOs, private organizations, and international organizations would prove to be an added advantage.
- Experience in automated information management systems in emergencies.
- Experience in digital strategy formulations is desirable.
- Self-motivated, proactive and takes initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, and organize work & time independently.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and team-oriented work style.
- Strong networking capacity and understanding of humanitarian and development nexus at local and regional levels.
- Strong desire to quickly learn, and undertake new challenges, must be a creative problem-solver and must have self-confidence.
- Willingness to work hard, good sense of humor but with seriousness about the quality and excellence of work.
- Fluency in English is required. Verbal and written communication skills in Amharic are essential. Knowledge of another language is an advantage.
- Operate within all EDRMC and ADPC Guidelines, Policies and Procedures.
- Operate within specific program needs.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Duration: 7months with the possibility of extension based on the performance and technical requirements of the position and duration of the project.
Condition of Payment:
The consultant will be paid a monthly professional fee upon submission of timesheets to be approved by EDRMC and counter-endorsed by ADPC Program Manager based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The consultant is expected to submit monthly timesheets related to the tasks along with the above-stated deliverables. All taxes, duties, and government charges imposed or levied in connection with the contract will be the sole responsibility of the consultant.
Itinerary: In case the official mission under the ETCOR program outside the duty station is required, the consultant will be entitled to domestic flights, local travel, daily subsistence allowance, accommodation, and other related travel costs as per EDRMC financial and administrative policies and costs will be covered by the program.
How to apply
Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
ADPC encourages diversity in its workplace and supports an inclusive work environment.