POSITION: Human Resources Assistant (PSA-2) LOCATION: Bonn, Germany Timezone: UTC +2 CLOSING DATE: 2023
About UN University (UNU)
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in policy-oriented research, capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on human survival, conflict prevention, sustainable development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 12 countries, UNU’s work spans the 17 Sustainable Development Goals’ full breadth, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe. For more information, please visit http://unu.edu
The United Nations University Vice-Rectorate in Europe (UNU-ViE): UNU-ViE, established in 2007, is one of two Vice-Rectorates and the only one located outside Japan. UNU-ViE seeks to strengthen the presence of UNU in Europe and supports the worldwide institutional development of UNU by facilitating collaboration across UNU and the UN, and sharing knowledge and expertise through the development of joint activities and projects. In addition to its core mandate, it administers the central units providing service to both UNU-ViE and UNU-EHS. For more information, please visit: http://vie.unu.edu/
Under the authority of the Vice-Rector/Director of UNU-EHS and the overall guidance of Finance and Administrative Officer and the direct supervision of the HR Focal Point and in-close collaboration with HR Associate, the appointee shall assist with human resources functions/activities as follows: 1. Assist with recruitment, onboarding and separation processes:
- Assist with the recruitment of personnel (advertisement of VAs, applications flows, organization of interviews, interview reports, and reference checks)
- Provide support with in-processing of new personnel including badge requests, Cigna insurance requests, ICT accounts creation requests, website updates, processing of pre-employment medical check-up reimbursements, and Global Directory entries etc. Laisse with the concerned colleagues on the workstation assignment.
- In-processing of Interns and Visiting Scientists, including updating the intern/VS Staff lists, badge requests to security (upon business needs) and informing ICT of requirements
- Support separation/offboarding processes of personnel including coordination of CTC evaluations with respective sections
2. Support personnel contract management activities:
- Draft personnel contracts including PSAs, and CTCs, based on UNU HR policies
- Assist in follow-ups with Division Heads on expiring personnel contracts
- Reminders/follow-ups with the Division Heads on deliverable based consultancy contracts’ payments and consequently processing them
3. Assist payroll management:
- Assist with monthly payroll sheets pertaining to consultancy contracts, stipends for interns, and processing payments.
- Assist with monthly RPA submissions pertaining to PSA modality
4. Leave monitoring:
- Assist with leave monitoring duties and maintenance of personnel attendance records in line with UNU’s policies and procedures
5. Others duties:
- Assist in maintaining/updating personnel files and filing system pertaining to Human Resources
- Support with general HR related inquires and attestations upon request by personnel
- Assist in preparation of various statistics regarding personnel and updating organizational oak charts
- Act as a backup of HR Associate and/or HR Focal Point when required
6. Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and accurate human resources transactions/activities/documentation
- Timely and quality client service
- Up-to-date HR records
- Strong internal team communications
- Inclusion —Take action to create an environment of dignity and respect for all, regardless of age, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, geography, grade, language, nationality, racial identity, religion, sex, sex characteristics, sexual orientation, social origin or any other aspect of identity
- Integrity — Act ethically, demonstrating the standards of conduct of the United Nations and taking prompt action in case of witnessing unprofessional or unethical behaviour, or any other breach of UN standards
- Humility — Demonstrate self-awareness and willingness to learn from others
- Humanity — Act according to the purposes of the United Nations: peace, dignity and equality on a healthy planet
- Connect and Collaborate — Build positive relationships with others to advance the work of the United Nations and work coherently as One UN
- Analyze and Plan — Seek out and use data from a wide range of sources to understand problems, inform decision-making, propose evidence-based solutions and plan action
- Deliver Results with Positive Impact — Hold oneself and others accountable for delivering results and making a positive difference to the people and causes that the United Nations serves
- Learn and Develop — Pursue own learning and development and contribute to the learning and development of others
- Adapt and Innovate — Demonstrate flexibility, agility and the ability to think and act in novel ways
Education and certification
- Completed secondary education;
- A first (or higher) level university degree in human resource management, business administration, or a related field will be considered an asset;
- At least three (3) years of working experience for completed secondary education or Bachelor’s degree with two (2) years of working experience, ideally touching the functions of human resources and personnel administration, preferably in an international setting;
- Proficient in the use of MS Office applications;
- Experience in using ERP system is highly desirable;
- Team player with good interpersonal skills, demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Good communication and time management skills, with the ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision;
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of German is an asset
The successful candidate will be employed under a national PSA contract. UNU offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary, commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Benefits include 30 days annual leave and a health insurance scheme.
UNU is not liable for any taxes that may be levied on the remuneration you receive under this contract. Payment of any such taxes remains the sole responsibility of PSA holders.
Duration of contract
This is a full-time employment on a twelve (12) months Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for PSA holders is 65 years.
This post is open to applicants from all countries and UNU will aid the successful applicant in securing a work visa for Germany, as necessary. It is, however, a locally recruited post and no relocation allowances apply. The duty station will be Bonn, Germany.
Expected startdate: As soon as possible
How to Apply:
To apply to UNU, you will not need an account. Instead, we ask that you:
- Fill out the UNU P11 form (please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations);
- provide a motivation statement (in the P11 form);
- provide a cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
- answer a few questions that are tailored to the position; and
- apply via the apply link.
You may wish to refer to the UN Values and Behaviours Framework for more information.
Application Deadline: 25 September 2023
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview, background checks and references.
PSA holders do no hold international civil servant status nor are they considered a “staff member” as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization. Applications from developing countries, and from women are strongly encouraged. Eligible internal applicants are also encouraged to apply.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Information about UNU rosters
UNU reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNU.
UNU does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.