Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer – Budgeting and Reporting
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The purpose of this role is to support the preparation and management of the organization’s budgeting system and working with departmental budget owners to create and monitor operating budgets.
- The post holder is accountable for preparing and providing financial and narrative reports and analyses to programs and management teams.
Dimensions of the Role
Communicates within Plan International Nigeria only. The post holder will contribute towards:
- Preparation of budgets for grant proposals and management of all budgets at the Country Office and Project Field offices.
- Budget tracking and monitoring budget vs Actual reporting.
- Master budget preparation.
- Donor financial reports preparation.
Support Budget preparation and budgetary monitoring and Control of the entire Country’s budget for effective implementation of financial plans. To do this, the role will:
- Support the preparation of the annual plans and budgets of all dept. /projects as part of the preparation of the Country’s annual budget.
- Support in the processes and communications, regularly working with department/Project budget owners across the organization to monitor and revise budgets throughout the year and life of project(s) as required.
- Support to manage project budget in accordance with approved budget and closely monitor grant performance for major institutional donors.
- Work with program and grants staff in preparing and/or revising donor budgets to support new proposals or realignments and ensure adequate coverage of country operating cost.
- Support to address donor requests related to budget, budget management, reporting, re-alignment and audit.
- Ensure project spending is in line with approved budget. Monitor project spending timely.
Prepare Financial and other reports to aid the preparation of the overall country’s financial report for dissemination and decision-making. To do this, the role will:
- Ensure project budget vs actual reports are prepared monthly and discussed with project and operations teams. Follow-up with action points and their implementation.
- Do a periodic review of the monthly budget vs actual spending reports and update the monthly reporting tracker for Finance Manager – Budgeting & Reporting attention.
- Support provide variance analysis and justifications monthly in coordination with project and operations teams.
- Support monitor projects financial transactions and spending and ensure compliance with donor and Plan financial management policies and procedures.
- Prepare donor financial and other relevant reports (invoice listing, inventory etc.) as required with adequate variance explanations for appropriate internal review and onward submission to grants dept./donor.
- Work with partners, develop their capacity on budgeting, financial management, internal controls, reporting and execution of audit actions.
- Support enforce donor policies and procedures across all projects.
- Carry out any other assigned tasks.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Degree in Accounting or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in Finance and Grants Management.
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft excels.
- Preferred Skills: knowledge of and experience with key donors in the industry is strongly preferred.
- An excellent skill in donor budget preparation & reporting.
- Excellent and demonstrable experience in grant and financial management.
- Knowledge and understanding of Nigeria’s policy environment
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including good listening skills, influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of operations and with stakeholders.
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour.
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity.
- Provides good and adequate support to enable programmes to meet its agreed financial and program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organizational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations.
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others.
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning.
Application Closing Date
31st July, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online