Economics Senior Specialist/ Specialist – Strategic Development Effectiveness
Washington D.C., Unites States
The IDB Group is a community of diverse, versatile, and passionate people who come together on a journey to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). Our people find purpose and do what they love in an inclusive, collaborative, agile, and exciting environment.
About this position
We are looking for an enthusiastic, curious, and knowledgeable Economist to join our Strategic Development Effectiveness Division. As an Economist in this division, which is part of the Office of Strategic Planning and Development Effectiveness Department, you will work alongside teams from throughout the Bank and LAC region to establish and apply high-quality standards in Bank projects and programs. You will also play a key role in designing and implementing evaluations and other analyses that promote evidence-based policy making and innovative ideas.
What you’ll do:
- Assess and provide input into operational documents, such as loan proposals, monitoring and evaluation reports, and country strategies, from the perspective of achieving development results.
- Provide guidance to operational teams on development effectiveness, including interventions’ theory of change, results matrix, economic analysis, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Participate in and lead training for internal and external audiences on development effectiveness topics, including the Bank’s tools, analytic methods, evaluations and emerging topics.
- Improve the Bank’s development effectiveness processes, tools and systems, among others, by collecting and analysing evidence, collaborating on briefings, and participating in internal reform efforts.
- Co-lead the design, oversight, and execution of project evaluations related to IDB projects, including econometric and statistical analysis, as required.
- Contribute to specialized analyses or background studies on areas of strategic importance to the IDB, elaborating and disseminating technical notes or guidelines.
- Guide, coach and mentor more junior staff and consultants in area(s) of expertise.
- Work independently with limited oversight.
What you’ll need
- Education: Master’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Public Policy, or a similarly relevant field. A PhD is strongly preferred.
- Experience: At least five years of relevant experience in program evaluation, applied economics, and development economics, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Languages: Proficiency in Spanish and English, spoken and written, is required. Additional proficiency in Portuguese is highly desirable.
- Learn continuously
- Collaborate and share knowledge
- Focus on clients
- Communicate and influence
- Innovate and try new things
- Citizenship : You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries . We may offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your eligible dependents.
- Consanguinity : You have no family members (up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB, IDB Invest, or IDB Lab.
Type of contract and duration
- International staff contract, 36 months initially, renewable upon mutual agreement.
What we offer
The IDB group provides benefits that respond to the different needs and moments of an employee’s life. These benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package, including an annual base salary expressed on a net- of-tax basis
- Leaves and vacations : 24 days of paid time off + 8 personal days + sick leave + gender- neutral parental leave
- Health Insurance : IDB Group provides employees and eligible dependents with a robust medical benefits program which covers medical, dental, vision, preventive care, and prescription drugs.
- Pension plan : defined benefit pension plan that provides financial security and support employees in planning for their future.
- We offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your family, when it applies
- Hybrid and flexible work schedules
- Health and wellbeing: Access to our Health Services Center which provides preventive care and health education for employees.
- Development support : We offer tools to boost your professional profile such as mentoring, 1:1 professional counseling, training and learning opportunities, language classes, mobility options, among others.
- Other perks: Lactation Room, Daycare Center, Gym, Bike Racks, Parking, Spouse Career Program, and others.
At the IDB Group we work so everyone brings their best and authentic selves to work, willing to try innovative approaches without fear, and where they are accountable and rewarded for their actions.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) are at the center of our organization. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+ people, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job interview process. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at [email protected] to request reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
Our Human Resources Team reviews carefully every application.
About the IDB Group
The IDB Group, composed of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), IDB Invest, and the IDB Lab offers flexible financing solutions to its member countries to finance economic and social development through lending and grants to public and private entities in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The Inter-American Development Bank is dedicated to improving lives. Established in 1959, the IDB is a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. The IDB also conducts ground breaking research and provides policy advice, technical assistance and training to public and private sector clients throughout the region.
Follow us : https://www.linkedin.com/company/inter-american-development-bank/
- External Opening Date: Sep 6, 2023
- External Closing Date: Sep 20, 2023
- External Contact Email: [email protected]
- External Contact Name: HR Service Center
- Job Field: Economics