E T Temporary
Job #: req22488
Term Duration: 1 year 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language(s): English, Spanish
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 5/12/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
Private sector financial development is essential to the promotion of successful and sustainable economies in low- and middle-income countries around the world. Sound and efficient financial markets can ensure that resources are allocated where they are most productive, assisting job creation and spurring economic growth. IFC’s goal is to prioritize investment in the financial sector because it promotes development in all other sectors.
The Financial Institution Group (FIG) is one of IFC’s key Departments responsible for a significant portion of IFC’s business volume, profitability, and development reach, approximately 40%. FIG engages in a wide range of sub-sectors including Microfinance, SME, Gender, Climate, Insurance, Capital Markets, Housing, Distressed Assets, and other areas, with both investment and advisory services delivered globally to IFC’s clients through IFC’s global network. FIG has three main objectives: 1) financial inclusion 2) servicing the real economy and 3) mobilizing third-party resources.
FIG is seeking to hire One Extended Term Temporary Consultants (ETT) based in Bogota, Colombia. ETTs work closely with IFC’s Investment Officers who are responsible for the design, negotiation, structuring, and subsequent supervision of the Corporation’s investment projects. ETTs help identify new projects and assist investment officers in executing deals, advising private companies on restructuring, and using financial instruments (e.g., risk management tools).
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Create financial analysis models
- Support structuring of new investments
- Analyze historical and projected financial statements and prepare periodic portfolio reports
- Conduct industry and market research and assist in IFC’s business development efforts
- Monitor operational and financial performance of client companies to evaluate risk and recommend active portfolio management actions
- Prepare documentation for IFC internal processes and monitor compliance with IFC financial, environmental and legal requirements
- Establish and maintain quality client relationships to ensure responsive client service and to enhance new business opportunities
- Participate in investments negotiations
- Liaise with colleagues across departments and the region and at the head office in Washington DC
- Participate in the monitoring of investments in portfolio companies
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree with specialization in business, finance, accounting, economics, etc.
- Preferably with at least 1-2 years of experience in finance, banking, portfolio management or consulting (ideally with a major financial institution, rating agency, consulting firm, etc.)
- Good knowledge of financial markets and one or more Latin American financial markets a plus
- Strong financial analysis and modelling skills using Microsoft excel and ability to identify key issues
- Sound numerical, analytical and conceptual skills encompassing finance and the associated areas of investment, portfolio management and corporate finance and economics
- Commitment to economic development and keen interest in development finance in emerging markets
- Ability to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries
- Demonstrated teamwork skills
- Strong client service orientation with an openness to feedback and new ideas
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to present ideas clearly and confidently
- Fluency in English and Spanish (oral and written)
World Bank Group Core Competencies
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.