Position Title: Database Officer
Duty Station: Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P1
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 26 January 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The IOM Haiti’s Data management Unit implements various Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM)’s operations, including, but not limited to, mobility tracking, ad registration, flow monitoring, surveys, and research. In addition, the unit supports other IOM Haiti’s units, such as Protection, Camp Coordination and Camp Management, Shelter and Non-Food items, Disaster Risk Reduction and Monitoring and Evaluation, in every aspect related to data collection and management.
These different activities generate a mass of useful data for IOM, Government and other stakeholders’ programming and policy making. Proper processing, storage and visualization of this data is of the utmost importance for efficient decision making.
Under the overall supervision of the IOM Haiti Head of Operations and the direct supervision of the DTM Officer, and in close coordination with technical support units in the Regional Office for the Caribbean and Latin America and in Geneva Headquarters, the Database Officer will be responsible for completing portions of work related to databased management, data access and visualization for IOM staff and external stakeholders as required, in line with IOM data protection principles.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Review the current data management workflow in all units of the mission, work to understand existing standalone databases/applications, document gaps, and suggest technical designs for adequate solutions.
- In close coordination with IOM Haiti Information and Communications Technology (ICT) unit, participate in the development a comprehensive data management system that addresses effective data collection, storage and sharing workflows and effective measures for implementing data protection and governance mechanisms. Maintain assigned portions of the data management system.
- Support the Information Management and Research Officer in the design of data collection tools by suggesting adequate technological solutions, especially in relation to the development of Kobo forms and the training of IOM and Implementing partners’ teams on their use.
- Participate in regular field missions, as required and possible, to monitor data collection and to provide technical information to field teams for data quality purposes.
- In close coordination with IOM Haiti ICT unit and the Information Management and research officer, support data visualization mechanisms that adequately inform decision making by assisting in preparing technical inputs, Extract Transform and Load (ETL) processes and the development of analysis processing services to be used with Business Intelligence tools, especially interactive maps, PowerBI products, and web applications.
- Assist in drafting user or procedural manuals and train users, including database assistants and data entry operators, in database operations and business intelligence solutions.
- In close coordination with the DTM Officer, liaise with DTM and ICT units in Geneva Headquarters to help utilize existing technological solutions for the improvement of IOM Haiti’s data management.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Computer Sciences, Software Engineering, Information Technology, or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
- University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in Desktop and Web based application development is required.
- Experience in using Kobo and designing of XLS forms is required.
- Experience in cooperate business application development for process flow management is required.
- Quantitative data collection and analysis experience is required.
- Experience in training adults on data collection methodologies and tools is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of PowerBI is required.
- Expert use of Excel (analysis, cleaning, compilation, etc.) is required.
- Knowledge of SPSS and/or Stata is an asset.
- Report writing skills is an advantage.
- Knowledge in Microsoft Dynamics Certificate is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Haitian Créole is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 26 January 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2023 07 Database Officer (P1) Port au Prince, Haiti (57926750) Released
Posting: Posting NC57926751 (57926751) Released