The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies (NSs). The overall aim of IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by NSs with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises.
IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
IFRC is led by its Secretary General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Society Development and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services.
IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. IFRC also has country cluster delegations and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat.
IFRC has undertaken the implementation of Microsoft Dynamics to support the following functions: Human Resources, Finance, Procurement, Logistics, Program Management, Resource Mobilization. The program is well underway. The HR module is deployed. End of 2023, the system planned to be deployed globally.
As a component of the program, the data analysis, science, and visualization workstream will focus on the realization of an end-to-end solution that will involve the ingestion, the consolidation, and the analysis of data to process the business intelligence uses cases.
IFRC decided to implement the data and reporting solution using the Azure Enterprise Data Platform Framework and the Power-BI platform.
The Data Engineer Synapse works with Geneva and Budapest based resources, field-based staff in five regions and outsourced service providers to deliver the target Data Analysis, Science and Visualization architecture.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with business representatives to understand the affected business domain(s).
- Design data products and pipelines that enables end users to understand and consume data.
- Review, comment and advise on the to be data architecture including the data foundations of the organization.
- Propose and apply data standards and governance models to pursuit.
- Integrate technical functionality (e.g. scalability, security, performance, data recovery, reliability, etc.).
- Implement the Use-Cases from ingestion to data product enablement in Synapse.
- Create data pipelines from source systems to Synapse, make data products available to end users.
- Work closely with the IFRC teams to ensure transfer of technical knowledge and best practices.
- Maintain documentation in reasonable quality.
Job Duties and Responsibilities (continued)
- Agreed/confirmed roadmap to implement the data foundations.
- This includes analysis of various business domains (Finance, Logistics, Operations, HR, etc.) , understanding of source system data structures, working out strategies to simplify data to make it digestible to consumers, identify technologies to integrate Source systems’ data.
- Implemented identified end to end use case within Azure Synapse, Data Lake.
Profile of the Consultant
- Proactive, solution seeking, self-driven, easily engages with stakeholder, curious and willing to learn.
- Sound knowledge of data privacy/protection and data governance (roles, responsibilities, cataloging and access control).
- Several years of experience as an Data Engineer
- Experience with data warehouse and data lake
- Experience with Microsoft Azure Data and integration platforms
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Understanding of business intelligence tools like PowerBI, to be able to connect to downstream process.
- Rigorous analytical mind and high attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills, ability to abstract and represent graphically.
- Ability to work effectively with technicians in different roles and work as part of a team.
- Fluent in English
Competencies, Values and Comments
The Data Engineer Synapse reports to the Manager, Information Technology Global IT Planning and Project Management.
Work closely with:IFRC Enterprise Architect based in Geneva;
- Data Architect based in Budapest or Geneva;
- Azure administrator in Budapest;
- Project Manager based in Budapest.
- Business Domain representatives in various location.
- Power BI developers in Budapest.
On a monthly basis, the consultant provides a timesheet to ensure a payment on proven results and deliveries.
Geneva with potential travels to Budapest.
6 months from October 2023 to April 2024
Estimated workload: 120 days