Conservation assistant ( Park rangers ) in the range of Boat Captaincy
Job announcement : Aug 21/2023
Publication cancellation date : Sep 4, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FLMEX
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: NPP ( National Project Personnel )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Mexico-La Paz
Duration: 3 months ( with high probability of extension )
Position Number: N / A
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The project “ Implementation and strengthening of the sustainable management of Natural Protected Areas ” constitutes the pilot phase of the CONANP-FAO collaboration that seeks to contribute to strengthening the system of Natural Protected Areas in Mexico. Through this project, specific strengthening mechanisms will be generated in the management and management of Natural Protected Areas for a better sustainable use of natural resources, strengthen the institutional relations of CONANP and improve processes that allow a direct impact on management effectiveness indicators, while building connectivity mechanisms, generating strategic alliances and actions to safeguard biodiversity and natural wealth.As a general result of the project, CONANP is expected to adopt the instruments to improve institutional efficiency and participatory governance for effective management of current and projected NPAs, through four products:
- Product 1. Prepared and transferred the proposal to improve the strategic Institutional Capacity ( CI ) ( includes the identification of gaps or deficits of IQ, of areas of opportunity, roadmap and established processes ) for the institutional efficiency of CONANP related to the management of Natural Protected Areas.
- Product 2. Generated and consolidated instruments and mechanisms to strengthen governance and citizen participation in Natural Protected Areas.
- Product 3. The proposal to increase the ecological representativeness and connectivity of ecosystems under protection has been prepared and implemented: Incorporation of new ANPs, strengthening of existing ones and ADVC certification.
- Product 4. The operational processes for the prioritization and efficient, timely and articulated development of strategic projects within the ANP in the project implementation territories are designed, validated and transferred.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Program Representative
Field of specialization
Tasks and responsibilities
The conservation assistant ( Park rangers ) in the range of Boat Captaincy is primarily tasked with contributing to the conservation of the protected area’s natural resources through the execution of operational, field and cabinet functions for the management of ANPs, in particular for the APFF Balandra. Its activities and functions will specifically contribute to products 1 and 2 of the UTF / MEX / 154 / MEX project.
The Conservation Assistant ( Park Rangers ) in the range of Boat Captaincy will have the following functions:
- Establish a work plan approved by the regional director the / coordinator ( a ) of the project.
- Collaborate with ANP surveillance and control plans under the DR of BC and North Pacific, by conducting routine tours, reports of the monitoring and control of other activities that take place in the ANP.
- Operate the boat and coordinate the supervision actions carried out within the APFF Balandra.
- Coordinate and follow up on the development of actions and projects related to tourism development, inspection and surveillance, conservation, monitoring and restoration of the ANP to meet the objectives set out in the corresponding declarations.
- Contribute and participate in the elaboration of the POA to ensure compliance with the objectives set.
- Support the ANP leadership in order to ensure the timely and correct operation of the ANP, as well as for its proper administration.
- Prepare complaints and supervision records, develop and carry out surveillance tours within the APFF Balandra.
- Participate in the collection and recording of information on the state of ecosystems, flora, fauna according to specifications and monitoring or research plans, reporting and making relevant reports.
- Carry out and / or support environmental education and interpretation, extension, tourist and recreational activities.
- Guide and provide information to visitors, residents and the general public according to their knowledge and skills.
- Operate and maintain existing infrastructure, tools, and various utensils, including the construction of minor infrastructure.
- Use and maintain motor traction means of transport.
- Keep daily records of all your activities.
- Prepare monthly reports of activities that describe the specific actions carried out, same that must be validated by the Project Coordinator and have the Good View of the DR of BC and the North Pacific of CONANP.
- Prepare a final report of your consultancy that contains the identification of lessons learned in the activities carried out and recommendations.
- Other tasks that the Coordinator ( a ) National of the project, CONANP or FAO require according to their competences and project needs
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUED IN ARRANGE TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Title in technical baccalaureate or bachelor’s degree in branches related to Environmental Sciences.
- At least 2 years of experience in the participation of community brigades or field work on rural, forestry or environmental development issues
- Practical knowledge of Spanish and limited knowledge of English.
- Mexican nationality.
FAO core competencies
- Results-based approach
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement
Technical / functional skills
- Experience in strategic issues such as planning, administration, development of indicators, among others
- Experience and knowledge in Rural Development, Forestry, Biology, environmental conservation.
- Desirable experience in generating databases of biological diversity and experience in National Parks.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process ( application, interview, processing ).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help or have questions, contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/ .
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
PRESENTATION OF REQUESTMENTS
- If you want to apply, go to the FAO Recruitment Website ( Employment in FAO ) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. Only applications received through the contracting portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to submit their application sufficiently in advance of the expiration of the term.
- If you need help, contact: [email protected].
IN THE LOCALS OF FAO IT IS FORBIDDEN TO SMOKE