( 2308156 )
Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: Special Services Agreement ( SSA )
Contract Duration ( Years, Months, Days ): 3 months
Job Posting: Sep 5, 2023, 2:39:37 PM
As part of the implementation of its 2022-23 work plan, the WHO office Burkina Faso is in a process of finalizing an agreement with a donor for the construction of a store and warehouse for the benefit of a national beneficiary. The said project is planned over a period of one year. To carry out this large-scale project, the WHO country office intends to recruit a national Civil Engineering engineer for technical monitoring of construction works.
Missions / Tasks / Deliverables
The Civil Engineering Engineer will work in collaboration with technical staff, counterparts in regional and national offices, donors and other key stakeholders and will monitor the application of WHO rules and regulations, financial rules and guidelines, the exercise of previous judgment and experience in their application. Tasks require ongoing contact to obtain and communicate information, and coordinate program activities, and communicate with WHO / QH counterparts and regional offices, to obtain cooperation and resolve problems, if necessary. The work is regularly examined in discussion with the supervisor, during information sessions and debriefing.
Specifically, under the direct supervision of the Construction Project Administrator, the contractor is assigned all or part of the following responsibilities :
- Attend the development of a clear project file ;
- Attend project launch meetings ;
- Attend the preparation of the specifications and the preambles to the works ;
- Supply policy advisor for the project ;
- Advisor on rights, constraints, consents and approvals ;
- Define the services and the scope of the work required ;
- Inspect the site and provide advice on surveys, analyzes, tests and site or other surveys necessary when necessary, including the availability and location of infrastructure and services ;
- Determine the availability of data, drawings and plans relating to the project ;
- Provide advice on criteria specific to its own scope of work which could significantly influence the cost of the project life cycle ;
- Design and supervise construction work ( buildings, roads and other infrastructure ) ;
- Attend in the preparation of technical documents for the project ;
- Attend the definition of a timetable for implementing activities ;
- Ensure regular and rigorous monitoring of the materials used and the composition of the various inputs ;
- Facilitate the implementation of project activities with the various actors ;
- Maintain a close monitoring table of the implementation of project activities ;
- Perform the monthly point on the level of execution of the works ;
- Monitor outstanding items with partners ;
- Advise WHO on major technical actions to be taken within the framework of the project ;
- Ensure general supervision of construction works ;
- Monitor outstanding items with partners ;
- Perform any other related task as required or instructed, including providing support to other areas of work.
3. Qualifications, experience, skills and languages
– University diploma in engineering, infrastructure and construction, town planning, architecture, water and sanitation or in a related field.
– Higher diploma in real estate management and development.
– At least two years of relevant experience in the field of engineering and management of building construction, town planning, architecture, water and sanitation or in a related field.
– Experience in the work of a large team ( 10 and over ) or in another United Nations System Agency ( SNU ) would be an asset. Experience based on Oracle or other ERP systems is also an asset
Functional skills and knowledge :
- Ability to work and produce results under pressure and meet deadlines ;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, diplomacy, tact and discretion ;
- Good judgment and initiative ;
- Excellent skills in analysis, writing / writing are essential ;
- Confirmed experience in project management, monitoring and evaluation, information collection, data management and reports ;
- Strong expertise in the analysis, organization and monitoring of costs and expenses to verify compliance and determine the impact and results of the grants awarded ;
- Ability to motivate others and work under pressure to meet defined deadlines ;
- Previous experience in supporting work planning with proven ability to proactively solve problems ;
- Proven skills in organization, presentation and writing in a clear and concise manner, combined with a commitment to quality and customer orientation, including the ability to facilitate training and build the capacity of team members ;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, discretion, tact and diplomacy ;
- A good knowledge of the IT tool ( Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook and Internet ).
Essential skills :
- Foster integration and teamwork ;
- Respect individual and cultural differences and ensure that everyone participates ;
- Communicate in a credible and effective manner ;
- Produce quality results ;
- Promote the position of WHO as a health authority.
Essential : Excellent knowledge of French
Desirable : Practical knowledge of English ( intermediate level ) would be an asset
4. Technical Supervision
The Civil Engineer reports to the general supervision of the WHO Representative with direct supervision of the Office Construction Project Administrator.
5. Place of assignment
The Civil Engineer will be based at the WHO Representation Office in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
6. Travel & missions
Dependent on the needs, the candidate will be required to carry out field missions.
7. Fees and budget ( Travel cost excluded )
The consultant will be paid at the grade equivalent to NO-B of the SNU salary scale in Burkina Faso
Monthly salary: 1,681,917 Currency: XOF Grade: NOB equivalent
The salary will be paid monthly upon presentation of the deliverables mentioned above.
Initial recruitment period: Three months with the possibility of renewal subject to availability of funds and after satisfaction of the results.
WHO applies zero tolerance to all forms of sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment and all types of abusive conduct ( discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment ) and is committed to diversity
Additional Information ( For HR use only ):
- The WHO is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. The WHO recruits and employs staff regardless of disability status, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, language, race, marital status, religious, cultural, ethnic and socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristics.
The WHO is committed to achieving gender parity and geographical diversity in its workforce . Women, persons with disabilities, and nationals of unrepresented and underrepresented Member States ( https://www.who.int/careers/diversity-equity-and-inclusion) are strongly encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities can request reasonable accommodation to enable participation in the recruitment process. Requests for reasonable accommodation should be sent through an email to reasonable [email protected]
- WHO has zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse ( SEA ), sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct ( i.e., discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment ). All members of the WHO workforce have a role to play in promoting a safe and respectful workplace and should report to WHO any actual or suspected cases of SEA, sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct. To ensure that individuals with a substantially history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organization, WHO will conduct a background verification of short-listed candidates.
- Please note that WHO’s contracts are conditional on members of the workforce confirming that they are vaccinated as required by WHO before undertaking a WHO assignment, except where a medical condition does not allow such vaccination, as certified by the WHO Staff Health and Wellbeing Services ( SHW ). The successful candidate will be asked to provide relevant evidence related to this condition. A copy of the updated vaccination card must be shared with WHO medical service in the medical clearance process. Please note that certain countries require proof of specific vaccinations for entry or exit. For example, official proof / certification of yellow fever vaccination is required to enter many countries. Country-specific vaccine recommendations can be found on the WHO international travel and Staff Health and Wellbeing website.For vaccination-related queries please directly contact SHW directly at [email protected].