Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Child Safeguarding Coordinator
Ref No: 220007FD
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Fixed Term | Permanent
Team/Programme: Humanitarian Team
Reports to: The Humanitarian HR/Admin Manager, with dotted lines to the Humanitarian Team leader
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Grade: NAT 3
- Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; ore because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- The overall aim of the role is to support the Borno Humanitarian Response in promoting and building a ‘Child Safe Organisation’ and zero tolerance to sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) of adult beneficiaries through awareness raising and beneficiary sensitisation focusing on the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA) by staff and representatives as well as facilitating confidential reporting of child safeguarding and PSEA concerns/incidents through appropriate channels.
Scope of Role
- Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all children, who have contact with the organisation, are safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from child abuse and sexual exploitation.
- This commitment is implemented through the organisation’s Child Safeguarding Policy. It applies equally to all children irrespective of their gender, disability, ethnicity, sexuality, marital status or religion; and is achieved through ensuring that all staff, partners and other representatives are aware of the problem of child abuse and sexual exploitation, the risks to children and their responsibility to ensure children are not harmed or put at risk during programme implementation activities.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Identify and address training needs of staff and stakeholders in humanitarian response in relation to keeping children safe and protecting adults at risk
- Coordinate child safeguarding capacity building and mobilise project staff, partners, volunteers and other stakeholders to undergo annual training in Child Safeguarding and PSEA through formal and informal refresher sessions, discussion of case studies, quizzes etc.
- Train and support the CS focal points, thematic leads and supporting functions in the fulfilment of their respective child safeguarding responsibilities.
- Develop and prepare materials for all Child Safeguarding related trainings
- Assist in organising and facilitation of child safeguarding induction for newly recruited project staff, volunteers, beneficiaries, stakeholders and partners.
- Facilitate translation of child safeguarding IEC materials to local dialects and lead in the procurement and dissemination of all CS IEC materials produced.
- Develop child safe guarding messages for various groups of stakeholders and facilitate publication.
- Conduct child safeguarding risk assessment of all sectors, projects and partners in collaboration with respective leads and CS focal points in the humanitarian response.
- Compile partners’ activity documents, analyse partners risk assessment result and support on identified gap.
- Conduct child safeguarding proposal risk assessment, design mitigation plan and develop Fcs financial activity plan.
- Compile and develop monthly child safeguarding training data/activity report with coordination of focal points and forward to the Country Office.
- Assist sectors on reviewing of proposals on child safeguarding lenses for to ensure safe program is implemented and coordinate with the MEAL area (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning), the evaluation processes for the compliance of indicators of safe programming.
- Lead in all aspects of CS investigations of reported child safeguarding and PSEA incidents/concerns and manage the online reporting system by ensuring that all updates on investigations are up-to-date.
- Organize learning forum on child safeguarding practices at different level – schools and CFS, TLS etc.
- Provide technical guidance on child safeguarding to partners, volunteers, SCI representatives and other key stakeholders including consultants.
- Conduct supervision and monitoring visits to project and construction sites as required.
- Maintain clear records of number of staff, partners, volunteers, contractors, vendors, consultants and other parties trained in child safeguarding
Skills and Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
He/she is expected to have the following:
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Communications, Law, Education or relevant professional qualification.
- Minimum of 2 years post NYSC relevant work experience.
- Direct or indirect experience of child protection practice and the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Knowledge of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, the Nigeria Child Rights Acts, child protection policies and practice as well as current issues in relation to safeguarding children in the Nigeria context.
- Good data management, data analysis, computer literacy and excellent documentation and report writing skills in English are a must.
- Ability to communicate complex and sensitive information as well as facilitate training to a wide and diverse audience.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Basic knowledge of the local language(s); Hausa, Kanuri
- Ability to foster and maintain strategic alliances across multiple stakeholders;
- Willingness to travel to and work in hard-to-reach areas; Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Experience of assisting in the development of local procedures, SoPs, manuals and guidance on child safeguarding.
- Experience on facilitation and coordination of training and workshop.
- Experience in conducting assessment, monitoring and report writing.
- Practical experience in the participation of children on the intervention of program activities.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
Competencies and values:
- Respect, integrity, diversity, commitment to excellence, adaptability, able to perform under stress, innovation, building relationships, communicating effectively, coaching and mentoring, facilitating change, developing teams, initiating action, strategic decision making, planning and organizing, leading through vision and mission and a personal commitment to children’s development and protection.
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
Application Closing Date
12th October, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online