Role & Responsibilities
The Audit Support Team Specialist will focus on compliance by ensuring that proper financials and systems controls are in place, functioning effectively in line with Medair’s and donors’ procedures and policies. They will verify the quality and compliance of relevant documents across departments within programs, and review Medair procedures as appropriate. They are responsible for maintaining the Country Program audit schedule, collaborating and co-ordinating audits across Medair, and timely follow-up on findings/recommendations from various auditors to ensure proper internal control. – He or she will support scheduled and ad hoc audit engagements
Medair Global Support Office (HQ or GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our GSO and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, raising and managing the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and recruiting international and GSO staff. The aim of the Audit Support Team is to lead and co-ordinate all the aspects related to the donor / statutory audits, in order to demonstrate systematically the accountability of Medair to our donors / relevant authorities regarding the compliance of Medair’s work per Medair’s own procedures and per donor’s regulations via providing the necessary evidence.
Workplace & Working conditions
Global Support Office (GSO) position based in Lausanne, Switzerland. Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
ASAP. Full-time open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
- Analyze and review expenses related to country program documents
- Carry out walkthroughs prior to audit to check on compliance
- Drive adherence to Medair’s internal control for aligning with Medair procedures through sample sizes
- Ensure definition and implementation to internal controls based on audit recommendations / findings
- KPI monitoring on internal controls
- Communicating and training staff on compliance requirements and necessary practices for compliance to Medair and donors’ policies and requirements.
Co-ordinate / collaborate to Country Program audit & GSO audits
- Actively lead and co-ordinate the “Audit Schedule” to ensure all audits (donor audits, statutory audits and other audits) are logged in and tracked properly.
- Co-ordinate / provide support to the corresponding Finance Managers for country program audits and monitor the compliance with the standardized audit process.
- Monitor the progress of Country program Donor Audits, and act as the key connect with various auditors and key internal stakeholders to ensure timely delivery of milestones.
- Coordinate the retrieval of Finance, HR, Logs & Programs relevant documents in collaboration with the Country program, GSO departments and GSO Audit Team Lead per auditors’ “Samples list”.
- Proactively analyze the relevant evidences to verify if in compliance with requirements and procedures.
- Ensure proper reconciliation of salary costs through Cost of Employment template, with support from Finance Specialists
- Ensure quick response and tight collaboration on providing responses to auditors’ queries
- Acting as a resource for the donor rules and regulations for the Country program teams and GSO
Audit process monitoring
- Ensure the following with proper and timely management
- Training of new Medair staff as required on the audit process for external donor and statutory audits
- Preparedness for audit – Maintain an overview of the Audit Calendar (country program and GSO) based on grant agreement / grant card data and input from the country programs.
- Review the completeness of the Grant Cards regarding the audit requirements
- Maintain / review / optimize SharePoint folder structure; verify set-up of new audit folders for scheduled audits in the country programs and at GSO.
- Proactively seek different alternative for better storage.
- Systematically follow-up on submission of audit reports by auditors after GSO & country program audits
- Audit Closure and Findings Monitoring
- Upon receipt of the audit reports conduct lesson learnt with the stakeholders for continuous improvement
- Ensure timely update of audit findings following country program audits
- Proper follow-up on implementation of action plans by Lead department / Action owners
- Reporting on audit outcomes to the Country Program Leadership and to the Finance Director
- Presenting walkthrough results to get engagement compliance from the country programs
- Reporting on the audit risks in the financial monitoring matrix
Electronic and Physical records management
- Ensure the proper and comprehensive management of the physical records (arrangement of the archive room, communication with other departments regarding their records, research of interns…)
- Ensure comprehensiveness of electronic records for each country program
- Lead and manage country programs where recurring delays or gaps are identified to enable the country team to address the causes of the delays or non-adherence.
- Monitor and maintain KPIs for completeness of the relevant documents on SharePoint system.
- Drive resolution and escalate related issues as appropriate.
- Closure of Projects in country programs
- Finalize review after project closure to ensure that all required documents are available in the archives to minimize future audit risks
Other Continuous improvement projects
- Take on any additional projects assigned in relation with continuous improvement in the department and processes (example: Review of processes, Contribution to system changes, review of policies linked to the retention of documents…)
- Or other projects as needed
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Bachelor degree of Accounting or Finance or equivalent
- Brevet Fédéral de Spécialiste en Finance et Comptabilité or equivalent
- Qualified accountant (ACCA) or equivalent
- English and French as a plus
- A background in audit would be appreciated, at least 2 years’ experience
- Proficient in Excel, Word, Outlook
- Good communication skills
- Well organized
- Analytic and problem-solving skills
- Detailed oriented
- Statistical mind
- Data analysis capacity
- Engaged in his / her work
- Proactive mentality
- High capacity to complete work tasks independently with high quality
- Good comprehensive mind
- Team work spirit
How to apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair Page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.