Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer, Nursing
Requisition ID: 2022201192
Location: Jere, Borno
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: Technical Officer, Health
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance.
- These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity. FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI 360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health, and Protection interventions
- Providing nursing care, treatment, and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards / precautions, to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works as part of a multidisciplinary team of staff to provide high quality patient care to an extremely vulnerable population.
- Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements, and comfort.
- For ER and OPD nurse, ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary.
- Knowing, promoting, implementing, and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds, and other medical procedures.
- Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Carrying out admission, surveillance, and follow-up of patients (i.e., assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency or deterioration.
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.)
- Co-work with Community Health Extension workers and other RN/RM volunteers working within you unit, including capacity building
- Adheres to the relevant Code of conduct and ethics
- Participates in outreach and community health programs (as required)
- Participates in Continuing Professional Development (i.e., trainings, mentoring)
- Plans care of the patient in collaboration with the site doctor.
- Provision of direct nursing care i.e., Administration of IV medications, wound dressings clinical observations etc.
- Maintains all reusable equipment by cleaning and sterilizing appropriately.
- Maintain adequate and correct records of patient care including consumables & instruments utilized (if any)
- Ensure high quality Nursing health services at all project sites.
- Works with technical support and M&E teams to collect appropriate baseline data over the life of the project
- Compiles and submits periodic reports
- Ensures adequate infection prevention and control measures are always maintained.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- B.Sc in Nursing, Public health, or other closely related fields with at least 3 years of relevant experience.
- Registered Nurse/Midwife plus additional public health or other closely related field certificates from a government-recognized institution with 4 or more years of relevant experience.
- Valid Practicing Licence is Mandatory.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
- Previous experience working in a humanitarian crisis is highly desirable.
- You must have completed the mandatory NYSC or you have an NYSC exemption letter.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Ability and willingness to stay at the LGA is required.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance walking to distribution sites.
- Excellent spoken and written Local and English languages.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Previous experience working in clinical setting is an asset.
- Ability to prepare weekly and monthly program reports.
- Be flexible and adaptable with regards to the implementation of the daily work
- FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others – and yourself.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online